Recording Full-Screen on Mac for Udemy: Overcoming Aspect Ratio Challenges

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording Full-Screen on Mac for Udemy: Overcoming Aspect Ratio Challenges

Go to solution

Hello,

I'm currently working on creating a course for Udemy, and to do so, I need to record my entire screen. However, I've encountered an issue related to aspect ratios. Mac screens have a 16:10 aspect ratio, while Udemy recommends a 16:9 aspect ratio.

I've tried a couple of solutions, such as using a tool called switchresX, but unfortunately, it resulted in reduced video quality and a less smooth working experience. Additionally, I attempted to use video editor tools to export the 16:10 recording to a 16:9 aspect ratio. However, this approach caused the video to become distorted, stretched, or compressed.

I'm curious to know how other course creators who use Mac manage to record their full screens in a 16:9 aspect ratio without having to trim or modify the video content. I'm desperately seeking a solution to this problem. If you have any insights or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

P.S: I'm planning to use Camtasia to record my screen and edit my videos.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

@ReyanshKhargaI'm not sure what people who have newer Macs with 16:10 do, but it's a quick and simple solution rather than having to adjust aspect ratios in software. And it's nice to have multiple monitors when recording so you can have notes, additional information, etc., off the recording screen.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Go to solution

Have you considered an external monitor? That might be a good solution.

Go to solution

Thanks, @AHardin. Sounds like a good solution. Just wondering if that's what you or most creators do.

Go to solution

@ReyanshKhargaI'm not sure what people who have newer Macs with 16:10 do, but it's a quick and simple solution rather than having to adjust aspect ratios in software. And it's nice to have multiple monitors when recording so you can have notes, additional information, etc., off the recording screen.

Go to solution

I use QuickTime to record and imovie to import the recording - exporting to 4k mp4 adds black bars to the sides so no stretching or cropping. 

Go to solution

I have decided to go with an external monitor, specifically the LG 24ML600S-W model. This monitor features a 24-inch Full HD IPS display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, along with built-in speakers, two HDMI ports, a VGA port, a 75 Hz refresh rate, and AMD Freesync technology.

I would greatly appreciate input from fellow community members regarding the suitability of this monitor for screen recording video tutorials on Mac.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors