Shure SM7b

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shure SM7b

I would like to buy a Shure SM7B microphone, because my blue Yeti has much white noise - although I am recording in a very very quiet room. This white noise may be usb-related.

What extra equipment do I need to buy for the Shure? 

2 Replies

Good choice.

An SM7B will outshine that mic in all manners, especially if it's routed well.

I'd guess your primary focus might be getting an Audio Interface? (to connect XLR mic to computer).  

My chain is:

SM7B > Soyuz Launcher > Preamp > Compressor > EQ > Noise Gate > Audio Interface > iMac

The bold part (usually 3 seperate devices) is covered with a single device called a 'Channel Strip'.  I use a 'Presonus Studio Channel'.  

The Noise Gate is to shut off the mic at times when I'm not talking (showing things on-screen) i.e so my fans and other background noise can't be heard.

A Cloudlifter or a Soyuz Launcher will help boost the SM7B.  They are known to tie hand in hand. They give the mic a boost so that the input (gain) level is good enough, without having to crank up volume in your recording software after you've recorded.  

By the way; the problem with hiss through a USB device can be remedied by a USB Ground Loop Isolator.

But do get the SM7B for more reasons than one.

Hey there, Dr_Ros. I totally get your mic upgrade quest. It's a wise move considering the Shure SM7B is renowned for its audio quality. Now, about the white noise issue with your Blue Yeti - it's a common ailment, and you might be right in suspecting a USB connection. USB mics tend to be sensitive to interference.

When transitioning to the SM7B, you'll need a few things to maximize its performance. Firstly, you'll need a good audio interface. The Shure SM7B requires a bit of extra juice, and an audio interface can provide the necessary gain and control. Brands like Focusrite and PreSonus offer reliable options.

I think Andersen, company known for its expertise in audio-related software, also offers great solutions in this regard. They could be a valuable resource to explore. I've had experience with this before.

Additionally, a good quality XLR cable is essential to connect your mic to the audio interface. Don't skimp on this; it can make a big difference in sound quality.

To further reduce any potential interference, consider a pop filter or windscreen, as the SM7B can be a bit sensitive to plosive sounds.

Lastly, invest in a shock mount to minimize vibrations and handling noise.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.