Using Audacity for removing static from VIDEO files

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Audacity for removing static from VIDEO files

Hello experienced/published Udemy instructors,

I am hoping that one of you can help me with the following issue.

I have created a video (.mp4)  file that passes Udemy's quality-control, but their suggestion to me is that I should use Audacity to remove "static" from the audio portion of the video file.

When I load my VIDEO (.mp4) file into Audacity, it only brings in the AUDIO portion of the video file. After I go through the process of removing the static from the AUDIO file, the Audacity software of course exports back an AUDIO file to me. In other words, the VIDEO portion is not brought in, and is not exported. It is "lost".....

I am hoping that one of you can provide an explanation of exactly how I can use Audacity to remove static from a VIDEO (.mp4) file.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Kerman Bharucha

Apex, NC.

13 Replies

@Kerman Audacity is audio editing software doesn’t support video. You may to use another software e.g Camtasia to merge the Audio and Video 

Thank you for your response.

I will check out Camtasia.

Thanks, again.....

:):)

Kerman

Hi there, i suggest you to use Filmora for this job, you can remove silence there and and even can increase or decrease volume levels also. I am sharing a youtube link and you can find a download link in description (including key).

https://youtu.be/FDxuydEMP9U

Thank you for your suggestion about Filmora.

I will check it out.

Thanks, again.....

Kerman.

@Kerman what are you using to record your videos with?

If you want to use audacity you will have to export the audio component of your video, edit in audacity, and then overlay the edited audio in your video editing software.

Alternatively, if you use something like Camtasia or the like, you can do audio editing and specifically noise reduction as part of your editing process all in one go.  
Now, with all of that said, nothing beats good quality recordings that needs a minimal of editing once you are done with the recording. a Lot of editing, and especially something like noise reduction tends to "flatten" your voice and makes it sound unnatural .

So the rule of thumb here is to get the best mic you can afford, set up your recording space to minimize echo and background noises, and do the least amount of sound editing you can get away with. Good quality microphones are very affordable these days, and there are a ton of DIY solutions out there to set up your recording space to cancel out echo/reverb/noise , the trifecta of enemies you deal with when doing home recordings. 

I am using a FiFine Lavalier (clip-on) microphone, with the Windows built-in recording software, and a Wacom tablet with SmoothDraw4. The videos are coming out well, but there is always some static at the beginning of the video.

I will check out Camtasia.

Thanks, again.....

Kerman

Dear @Kerman,

If you are looking for an all-in-one solution, then try Auphonic.com . You can process 1-2 hours of video a month for free (and is not that expensive afterwards). You can use the Adaptive Leveler, Loudness Normalization, Filtering, and Noise Reduction. It can process video and will return a video after processing.

deleteme.png

Regards,

Phillip

I will check out your suggestion on Auphonic.com.

Thanks, again.....

Kerman

@Kerman,

I have used Audacity in the past, but I find that an easier solution is to use a plug in called "CrumplePop AudioDenoise AI" (https://crumplepop.com/product/fcpx-premiere-plugin-audio-denoise/), which gets rid of all echo and static background noise. It works on many video editing platforms and it's easy to use. Below is an image of the product that I use for my workflow.

Thanks,

Chris CrumplePop.png

I will check out CrumplePop. Am not too tech savvy, but I will check it out.

Thanks, again.....

Kerman

My pleasure! Happy to jump on a Zoom call to help out. Thanks

Regardless of the tips that all friends gave here, to avoid static noise in the audio, check if the computer has a correct grounding system, the lack of grounding usually disturbs the microphone.

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm sure that the grounding is fine. The static usually appears at the very start of the video, and occasionally when the "pen" touches the Wacom "tablet" which is part of the system I use for creating the videos. Of course, the pen touches the tablet all the time, but the static only appears occasionally.

Thanks, again.....

Kerman

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.