Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rahul Iyer
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Which microphone do you use?

Hi,

To create our training courses, the use of the correct microphone is critical. When I began my journey on Udemy, I invested in the Blue Snowball USB Microphone. It is outstanding and works superb even today after six years of its regular use. I use it to record audio lectures.

With that said, as I progressed and started using a DSLR camera, I required another microphone that could connect to the camera. So, I purchased the Rode Video Mic Pro+. Its a compact directional shotgun microphone with an outstanding sound quality.

Some details of both these microphones are as below:

Blue Snowball iCE USB Mic for Recording and Streaming on PC and Mac, Cardioid Condenser Capsule (Price ~$40 on Amazon)

Picture2.png 

Rode VideoMic Pro+ Compact Directional On-Camera Shotgun Condenser Microphone (Price ~$265 on Amazon)

Picture1.png

Which microphone do you use to record your video lectures? Share your thoughts.

39 Replies

I use my little Samson Go USB Mic. I like it. Thanks for sharing @Rahul Iyer

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion

Nice.. i believe this microphone features two switchable patterns to select the right time of sound for a specific recording. Price is also very decent, slightly lesser than 100 dollars here in India. Thanks for sharing 😊

Samson Go.png

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

What an amazing post @Rahul Iyer! Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your microphone suggestions. It's great that you included two types of microphones with vastly different prices. I look forward to seeing what other instructors use to record their courses. 🎤😊 

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion

Thank you @Bella appreciate the note! 🙂

Yes, it is very compact and easy to carry around.

FrankKane
Community Champion

I'm a Shure SM7B guy, paired with a "CloudLifter" box to boost its signal, and a "Blue Icicle" device to convert it to USB. It's more expensive than the other options listed so far, but not crazy-expensive like the professional-grade Neumann microphones.

It's a dynamic mic so it's not too sensitive to noise, and it sounds really rich.

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing @FrankKane 

I believe your microphone and the blue icicle device will look like the below images:

Picture 1.jpgPicture 2.jpg

Very helpful 🙂

FrankKane
Community Champion

Yup, that's it!

I use the Blue Yeti Nano on a boom arm.  Nothing fancy, but I'm happy with the sound quality, it's affordable, and super easy to set up and use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DTTGZ7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion

Hey @StanVangild204,

Thank you for sharing. I have added the picture of how your microphone may look. Looks brilliant and you have already mentioned it is wonderful. Also costs less than $100. Appreciate your note 🙂

Picture 1.jpg

Thanks, @Rahul Iyer .  There are lots of YouTube videos that compare microphones, so I encourage anyone to do their own research.  AND I'm not an expert, BUT:  Besides affordability and simplicity, what I love about this microphone is:  1) I can set it up and forget about it - as long as it's 6-18 inches from my mouth, it will sound great - I don't have to think about where it is as I move, and 2) This microphone gets criticized for how it picks up noise - some say you need a sound-proof studio to use it.  I DO try to have a quiet environment, but I find that the noise reduction in my software (Camtasia) works very well to eliminate noises like fans, so NO, I don't need a sound studio.  Would encourage anyone to try affordable gear like this when they are just getting started as an instructor.

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion

This is excellent @StanVangild204 Thank you for sharing the detailed insights. Very helpful! 🙂

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

The mic you use is partly determined by how you shoot. I stand in front of a green screen and my camera is back abut 20 feet on a tripod. I use a wireless mic. I went through three different cheaper brands and finally decided to spend the $500 on a genuinely pro quality Sony transmitter and receiver. This has worked very well plugged into my Nikon z6ii camera. 
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1484178-REG/sony_uwp_d21_14_uwp_d21_camera_mount_wireless_omn...

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
Rahul Iyer
Community Champion

Very unique @LawrenceMMiller... Thank you for sharing 🙂  I love these lavalier mics!

Picture 1.jpg

I'm spoiled for choice when it comes to microphones, (I'm a Sound Engineer) I use an Audio Technica 4033 (condenser) plugged into a  Focusrite Green 2 mic pre amp, and that's plugged into my audio interface. 

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion

Wow @LiamDavin1, Audio Technica is also the most recommended microphone of my favorite Podcaster and the world's richest affiliate marketer (Pat Flynn). Thank you for sharing! 🙂

Audio Technica.png

@Rahul Iyer thank you for this post, this will help a lot, especially now that I am in the middle of it. I have added it up as No.2 on my priority list this month right away.😄 Thank you.

(MDN)
Oracle DBA, APEX Developer & Intructor/Freelancer.
Rahul Iyer
Community Champion

Am glad that this post is helpful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts @Michael_D_Nwaogu 🙂

My two primary mics are the Samson Q2U and Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB with a behringer mixer. I like how they both have USB and XLR interfaces. I originally started with a Blue Snowball iCE, but really like these two.

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion

Awesome microphone! Very professional 🙂

Picture 1.jpgPicture 2.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.