Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October improvements for your Performance dashboard

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Following up on September's theme of data & analytics, we wanted to share a few improvements our teams recently made to the Performance dashboard:

1. We've updated the way we calculate course consumption to better reflect overall learner engagement. Before, the Course Engagement page didn't include time spent engaging on-platform practice activities like quizzes, practice tests, and coding exercises. Now time spent on these activities is included in your Course Engagement report.

We also cleaned up the logic around details like repeat viewing and watch speed. For the curious: repeat viewing counts the same as first-time viewing, and two users watching the same video count as the same number of minutes consumed, even if they watch at different speeds. For those of you with content included in subscriptions (Udemy Business and Personal Plan), this updated way of calculating engagement is now consistent with the calculation used in the Revenue Report, which already included engagement with practice activities. 

2. We've introduced a new metric, minutes consumed per active learner, to save you a trip to your spreadsheets and make it easier to compare engagement across courses. We heard from some of you that this metric provides a clearer idea of which of your courses are successfully driving learner engagement, and which might need some love to get learners moving.

3. We've added sorting capabilities to the Course Engagement summary report to let you view your courses in ascending or descending order in terms of minutes consumed, number of active students, or the new "minutes consumed per active student" metric. We hope this helps you prioritize your efforts when it comes to updating your courses or planning new ones.

We hope these updates help you continue to create great content that keeps your learners motivated, engaged, and loyal.

Teach on,

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

8 Comments
AlvaroChirou
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

thanks for sharing @Bella 

Mufaddal
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

Thanks @Bella  and Udemy team Helps alot. 

Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Excellent update, thank you @Bella and the rest of the Udemy team. 

Is it possible to get that data more than 12-months back (meaning the new practice exam data)?

Thor-Internet-High-Five.jpg

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Thor, great question! We’re actively looking into this and hopeful we’ll be able to provide it. While it’s unlikely that we’ll end up with an all-time lookback, we’ve heard repeatedly that looking back longer than a year lets you better account for seasonal trends and make use of the data provided.

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

SebiGloeckner
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Hi @Bella ,

thank you very much for the update!

But I don't understand it, how do I get "minutes consumed per active learner"?

Here is an example of one of my courses, do I have to calculate 4463/101 = 44,1 (minutes per active user) myself or where could I find that number 44,1 in the dashboard for this example below? 

Thank you in advance!
Sebastian

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-23 um 21.01.54.png

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SebiGloeckner, thanks for asking! You should see this information directly below the graph shown in your screenshot. Could you take another look and let me know if you were able to find it? If you need further assistance, I'll be right here! 😊

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

OracleMaster
Researcher
Researcher

Hi @Bella , could you please clarify how the time consumed per-practice test, quiz, etc. is calculated (based on browser time, text size, or any other criteria)?

I'd like to remind you that the time consumed per quiz, and practice test i.e. can change for each student.

For example, a student may complete a quiz within 15 minutes whereas the other may complete it within 100 minutes. How Udemy calculates the consumed time? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @OracleMaster, that's a very good question! 

It’s calculated much like video content, using the actual time a learner spends engaging with each quiz. There isn’t any kind of standard formula using the length of the question or the number of answer choices — just how long a student in the app or in their browser spends taking the quiz.

I hope this helps!

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community