cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supporting marketplace health with a new program

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Udemy marketplace is home to tens of thousands of instructors and courses, and we strive to provide an opportunity for success for each one.

In order to increase the discoverability of quality courses, improve site performance, and support overall marketplace health, we've introduced a marketplace maintenance program to periodically audit and unpublish nonperforming, outdated content. This helps us surface the freshest, most relevant courses to prospective learners, and creates more room in the marketplace for new courses and instructors.

Content will only be flagged for removal if it has had little to no recent traction with new students, low historical traction, and no recent updates. Instructors with at-risk content will be notified via email and through their instructor dashboard. Before the content is unpublished, they'll have a chance to address outstanding issues and keep their course open to new enrollers.

Our goal with this program is to ensure the Udemy marketplace can continue to support the fresh, high-quality content instructors publish every day. You can read the details about this new program in our Help Center, and ask any general questions about it below.

53 Comments
Baghi823
Observer
Observer

LawrenceMMiller, thanks for the clarification. Whew. 🙂

Baghi823
Observer
Observer

However, the AND argument would seem valid at first glance, but I don't think there is a guarantee that it is. Let's  say that whether or not a course has been updated, the course has a copied and pasted section on the CLP, and/or the course has less than four learning objectives (my courses had less than four).  Would the course not get flagged? Probably. If so, why could not the flagging apply to the third requirement only, i.e. no updates for 6 months or more,  assuming that all the three requirements are "equal" ? 

Unless they aren't. And this, I think, we do not yet know.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for your understanding, Luigi.

Updating the content regularly is crucial for improving our search engine ranking and therefore increasing the chances of the course's success in the platform. But you're correct: updating your course every 6 months is not a requirement. Courses will only be flagged if they haven't historically had significant enrollments, little to no student or instructor engagement for some time, and the course landing page doesn't follow SEO best practices (all these three criteria). 

Thank you for your feedback in regards to the updates we share. I agree that being able to subscribe to our Help Center would be a great idea and I'll make sure to share this with the rest of our team. As always, we're here if you have any further questions or concerns.

All the best!

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community