Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Priority Topics for Q1 2023

RyanJaress
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there instructors,

We’re excited to share with you our updated Udemy Business Priority Topic list for Q1 2023! 

This quarterly-updated list was created by our Udemy Business Content Strategy Team by examining topic demand and requests from our customers, reviewing industry trends, and closely reviewing our current offerings.

Feel free to take a look at the list and see if there are any courses that you can create! 

Please note that courses created on these topics will still be required to meet Udemy Business course quality criteria in order to be added to the Udemy Business collection. 

At this time, our Content Strategy Team is only sharing priority topics for the Udemy Business English collection. However, we are working to make updates to the list in the future that will enable us to share insights into Udemy Business priority topics for other language collections as well. 

13 Comments
Alexia
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

This is what I was requesting today with feedback on the survey. Great webinar. Appreciate the quick response. 

Alexia
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

@RyanJaress Help please! The list of Top Priority Topics categorizes the course as Diversity Equity & Inclusion under Business. This isn’t showing up as an option. Is there someone I can contact? I have one class under the Udemy for Business program and understand the criteria, and I can definitely teach a requested topic! Thank you, Alexia
FAF6D96C-8A50-4868-803D-0529A58EE58E.jpeg

RyanJaress
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @Alexia 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The ‘Course Type’ column is broadly grouping the topics on the list into Business and Tech topics. This does not mean that the course should be categorized under the Business category in the Marketplace, however. We recommend you select the most appropriate category and subcategory for your course based on your course content. If the courses is added to the Udemy Business collection in the future, the Content team will then categorize it in the relevant category and subcategory in Udemy Business and email you to let you know when the course has been included.

Alexia
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

@RyanJaress @Thank you for the explanation & clarification!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RyanJaress could the priority list also mention the expected audience size? Without knowing the target audience it’s hard to decide if it’s worth pursuing and the extent of effort that needs to be put in.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous , good question! We're asking the team for more details about this and we'll let you know shortly. Thanks for your patience!

Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@Bella 

Following on from what @Anonymous asked, I have a question.

One of the topics on the list is Mindful Stress Management.

This is what I don't understand.

I have a course on that subject with a Highest Rated badge.

It is a long standing course.

But it has not been put into the Business Catalogue.

To be clear: I am not complaining.

Rather, I am expanding on the point raised by @Anonymous 

If I already have a highest rated course on a High Priority Business Topic that has not been selected, where do I gather the confidence to put a lot of work into new topic.

The selection process seems so obfuscated to me.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous, I heard back from the team on this. Here's what I found out:

Our Content Strategy teams have developed this list by using several factors, including Udemy Business collection strategy and current offering, market trends, industry research, competitor offerings, and customer demand (demand is measured, in part, by search demand and customer requests). While the list does provide insight into which topics are priority for the collection, the audience size could vary and we are not able to provide that level of detail for each topic at this time.

While we can’t make any guarantees on performance or revenue, remember that the performance of a course depends on many factors, not just on its topic. Revenue potential can be affected by the length and quality of a course, the specific learner it targets, the competition present on the Udemy marketplace, and other factors.

Bella Almeida

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Human-Science, thank you for your question - very good one! I've also reached out to the team about this and will let you know once I have more information. 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @Bella. Appreciate you following up.

The following is for the management or strategy team.

The information is insufficient for me to create courses about two high-priority topics. I have the right diverse experience to provide a course with practical first-hand experience-based advice, but if it is not going to sell, what's the point? This experience is like going through the rigors of medical school only to sell snake oil door to door.

UFB is a walled garden. I fell for this trap by creating a "High priority" course based on UFB insights and had to unpublish because of one low rating and close to zero marketplace traction. Some of my courses apply to every single person coding, and yet no reach out from the UFB team to improve the course for "Business priority."

These confusing legal terms and conditions brand responses are painful reminders of being just a row on some excel in a meeting room full of geniuses waiting for their stocks to vest or just being numb to reality.

Either way, the new instructor experience is getting worst by the week. The influx of more is just going to lead to more irrelevant content. A few months back, the UFB customer count was 17K, then saw 14 K a few weeks ago, and today it was 12.5 K on the landing page banner. I thought joining Udemy might help me focus on teaching instead of reverse engineering some convoluted strategies of someone trying to prove their worth by creating more confusion under the name of innovation. But clearly, Conway's law is universal.

Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@Bella 

I have to agree with @Anonymous 

All the risk is with the Instructors and the 'walled garden' metaphor could not be more appropriate.

Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Our Content Strategy teams have developed this list by using several factors, including Udemy Business collection strategy and current offering, market trends, industry research, competitor offerings, and customer demand (demand is measured, in part, by search demand and customer requests).

What on earth does that mean?

I cannot believe that I am the only person to read that as lacking any actionable information. It is just jargon that one might might use when seeking to appear helpful while actually intending to withhold information.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Human-Science Thanks for your patience. I understand that you're seeking more clarity around the course selection process, and I apologize if the information provided earlier wasn't as thorough or helpful as you'd hoped. We want to support you in your efforts to create great courses for Udemy learners, so I've reached out to the Udemy Business team to get more information on the inclusion criteria that might help clarify the process.

The Content team frequently reviews courses on the Marketplace for consideration for Udemy Business. In order for a course to be eligible, the team looks at a variety of course elements, such as content freshness, recent updates, number of ratings, and content relevancy for a business audience, while taking into account the existing courses in the Udemy Business collection. 

We encourage instructors to continue to engage with your existing courses, invest in and update them and continue to enhance the content quality, freshness, and relevance for the Udemy Business audience. If your course meets the criteria for Udemy Business and is added to the collection, you will receive an email notifying you that your course is included.

In terms of the topic themselves, our Instructor Strategy team, along with Curation and Content Strategy, is closely collaborating to see if we can share any additional details about the topics and demand publicly. I appreciate your feedback, and it's definitely on our radar. We'll consider how we can best take it into account in future updates of the list.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with. I'm here to support you in making the most of your experience with us.

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community