Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming pricing adjustments for the Turkish market

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi instructors,

As some of you know and have mentioned here in the Community, the economy in Turkey has been undergoing steep inflation in recent months. We've been tracking these developments in the news and on the ground with our Turkish team members, as well as hearing feedback from instructors on the declining value of the Turkish Lira.

Our goal with course pricing is always to find the price range and promotional strategy that brings education within reach for learners while maximizing return for instructors and Udemy. We make any adjustments thoughtfully and based on data. 

In this case, based on our research and the perspectives provided by instructors and Udemates in Turkey, we'll be adjusting our general pricing strategy in the region to better match the current economic conditions. Starting in January, you'll see upward adjustments of 20-30% in course prices for the Turkish market on Udemy.

We'll continue to monitor developments in this market to determine if further adjustments are necessary to maintain momentum in the region. We appreciate your continuing feedback and your support of all our learners, instructors, and teammates in Turkey.

Teach on,

The Udemy Instructor Team

15 Comments
ahmetterkir
Researcher
Researcher

Thank you udemy 

AtilSamancioglu
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Great to see, thanks!

MerrDesign
Observer
Observer

Thanks! 

FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh thank goodness. Downward pressure on prices in Turkey and India have been my #1 pain points.

I feel for the people in Turkey though. Inflation isn't fun.

Algo4k1v
Observer
Observer

Güzel haber

MuratARABACILAR
Researcher
Researcher

Thanks!

It's January, but there's been no change in prices, when will it change?

Mehmetuzum
Researcher
Researcher

Thanks Udemy team.

GulcanTelci
Observer
Observer

Great news! Thank you

MichaelPog
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

@Bella thanks for the update, have these price adjustments already taken place? I still see sales in Turkey for such low prices that my revenue share is as low as $0.63.

There's inflation in the US too. Since January many businesses increased their prices. Anywhere from barbershops to grocery stores.
I don't think you can buy a piece of gum for $0.63 in California any more.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MichaelPog and @MuratARABACILAR, thank you for asking about this!

The pricing adjustments for the Turkish market will be visible on the site within the next week. We will be sharing more information here in the community very soon! 🙂

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

MichaelPog
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

Thank you @Bella for the update.

Is Udemy planning to adjust prices across the board?

Turkey isn't the only country that experiences inflation. In the US it has been around 6% just this last year but Udemy still prices courses the same way especially during sales. What $9.99 could buy you years ago is not what it can buy you today.

Without price adjustments my courses go down in value month after month and so is Udemy's revenue.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

I completely understand your point, @MichaelPog. We do make periodic adjustments in different markets to adjust for a variety of factors including inflation, shifts in purchasing power, and currency fluctuations -- sometimes up, sometimes down. In general, we only make more drastic adjustments to price floors and tiers (versus pricing for individual courses, which can update more frequently) when there has been a pronounced shift in that market and our data suggests we need to adjust to preserve current or future revenue. While many courses now sell above the floor of $9.99 USD in the US market, we don't have any immediate plans to adjust the overall floor there.

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

Algo4k1v
Observer
Observer

Cancellation periods also need to be adjusted.  People get information and cancel after enrolling in the course. This is ridiculous. The 30-day cancellation period is too long

7777nft
Rookie
Rookie

Good job Udemy! Thanks

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Algo4k1v

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding the refund process - I have forwarded it to the appropriate team. 

At Udemy, we want students to be satisfied with their courses, so all courses purchased on Udemy can be refunded within 30 days. That being said, if the student consumed a significant portion of the course, or if most/all course content was downloaded before the refund was requested, the refund request may be rejected. Students who purchase and refund multiple courses over an extended period may also be subject to suspension for abuse of the refund policy. 

As a result, we encourage instructors to not be disheartened by refunds, but recommend you continue to take feedback from student course reviews, and answer their questions in the Q&A section to help engage with students who are actively taking your courses. If you see that specific students are abusing the refund policy or any other suspicious student behavior, please feel free to contact policy@udemy.com so they can investigate further.

For more information on our refund policy, please click here.

I hope this helps provide some clarification on this, and please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community