cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming tests: Udemy deal codes and instructor coupons

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

We continue to develop our pricing and promotions systems to help maximize course earnings and support marketplace health. As part of these efforts, we’re looking to better understand the ways students select and apply promotion codes. 

Over the next several weeks, a number of tests may affect the way learners in select markets redeem Udemy deal codes and instructor coupons. Paid instructor coupon codes will continue to function normally via coupon link or manual entry on the Shopping Cart page. In certain cases, learners in select markets may be blocked from redeeming free coupons based on factors such as the rate of redemption of the coupon, or may need to enter a code in the Shopping Cart (versus entering it on the course landing page).

To ensure a smooth experience for your students:

• Use coupon links to promote your course instead of distributing a code for manual entry. Today, nearly 95% of successful coupon code applications occur this way.
  • If you do provide a manual code, encourage students to apply it in the Shopping Cart versus on the course landing page.
  • If students contact you about difficulty redeeming a coupon, direct them to Udemy Support.

We’ll use the results of these tests to inform future improvements to the discount code system for both instructors and Udemy. 

Thank you for continuing to improve the lives of students around the world by teaching on Udemy. 

7 Comments
ba0708
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

I hope Udemy will give the promotional system (coupons) an overhaul. In its current state it's garbage and has been so for a long time. An update is way overdue. The thinking behind it was good, but the implementation was poor.

ScottDuffy
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Cool

Fervent
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you please incorporate some sort of cross-course coupon creation? It's quite painful to have to go into every single course individually when you're trying to create promotions across all courses.

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Fervent Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've passed your feature request to our Product Development team. 

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community 

bala2020
Researcher
Researcher

Hi Bella ...

... and more importantly people responsible for these decisions:

While some tinkering with your promotional system, pricing and coupons, here and there may seem helpful, I really do not think it is really helpful - at lease not to the instructors. Because you guys want to control too many things - the price; the frequency, number, discount rate and expiry of coupons; where it can be mentioned and where not, etc etc. I don't know - is the idea to help an instructor gain more sales or feel throttled in your heavily regimented, over-controlled system?

As some people have been observing here, your entire pricing and promotional systems need to be revamped, if you want to help instructors and yourselves also, in the process. Sorry for some plainspeaking, but I am considered a Marketing and Pricing expert in my consulting client and MBA student circles. I thought I will give you some genuine advice FREE. 

Prof. BALA

CodeBrainsIO
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

There should be a feature to block certain regions that the coupon can be used. I've noticed that certain regions have so-called course collectors and even if they do decide to take the course, they give really bad reviews. We've even run into the issue of students messaging us asking us for even more free coupons.

IlkinCavadovpan
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Udemy growth for the all of users. Thats great. Thank againly Udemy