cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our new brand!

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello instructors! Today is the day we officially launch our new brand. You’ve probably noticed already that things look a little different around here. This total refresh of our look and feel was made with you in mind.

We invite you to head over to the Teaching Center to get more details on what’s new, and why we think this makes an even better Udemy for all of us. You can also get our new brand kit for use on your website and social media.

And hey, we would love to know what you think. So let us know in the comments!

Learn more here: https://teach.udemy.com/a-new-look/

125 Comments
Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@LawrenceMMiller 

It has changed to grey.

Ridiculous.

I wonder how much Udemy have paid their web site development consultants.

I thought of including the issue in my post, but with so many doubts over whether the public facing readability issue will have any impact, I was loathe to stretch my hopes by pointing out how the new faint grey type of the forum is like a passive aggressive punitive poke in the eye to instructors.

But I will do that now while I on it.

Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Hello. Hello.

Me again.

Forgot to mention.

The faint grey forum text is inaccessible.

That is hard to read.

That is pointless.

Are you receiving?

Thank you.

We love you Udemy.

We are committed to accepting your changes like good children, even if we cannot read about them easily and have to guess some of the words because the TEXT ON THE SITE AND THE FORUM IS LESS ACCESSIBLE THAN BEFORE THE AMAZING CHANGES that you have made as an expression of your commitment and regard for us and our students.

Thanks for consulting and letting us save you thousands of dollars in fees to a development agency who clearly live in a wonderful ivory tower of perfectly sighted hipsters.

Over.

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Human-Science You are not alone in this feedback. We are monitoring it in all channels. We have heard that the purple on black is harder to read, especially in regards to the message notification button. Is there anywhere else on the site that you see purple text on a black background? I would like to send this over to the brand team for you. 

Innovative
Observer
Observer

@Human-Science @LawrenceMMiller Udemy perhaps wants to just create traffic like Twitter and Facebook. They aren't in education anymore. They aren't concerned with their instructors. 

Coupon code creation links for instructors is just a carrot. They can't use it since Udemy runs campaign throughout the year at lower price than coupon code price. That's the harsh reality. The Game People Play. 

Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@ChrystieV 

Is there anywhere else on the site that you see purple text on a black background?

I think it is the obligation of your development team to identify those styles through a robust method of CSS definitions identification. I do not see that something so significant should be entrusted to an Instructor's manual browsing of an entire website.

Frankly, that solution is even worse than the problem requiring a solution.

If you want to extend you trust of Instructors, may I suggest consulting with them before the event next time, rather than recruiting us to spot every instance of an issue.

Sorry.

I have identified the issue.

But the rest of the work is yours to do.

I am posting in bold to make it readable to those for whom the faint grey is inaccessible or painful to read.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

This is a good and simple test of how bureaucratic Udemy has become. No one with any sense decides to make a web page harder to read... grey on a grey background, for example. 

I suppose this has to go through three committees to get a decision (God help us!). If someone could actually make a decision they would decide to change this in five minutes. In another five minutes they could change it from grey to black. Easy, easy, easy. This is a measurement of bureaucracy. If this can't be decided and implemented quickly, we are doomed!

Pino
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

What did the heck happen to the forum? Why all is grey and smaller now? Have you given the rebranding as a project to some K12 class to save money? This is just crazy 😞

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Congrats on the new look, Team Udemy. Big thumbs up from me.👍

Smoothly executed too. 

ElifZevulun
Researcher
Researcher

I loved it! So dynamic and fresh... 

I would like to use the new logo on my banners and thumbnails. Where can I find the  png transparent background version of the logo? 

Cheers

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Human-Science Our team is working on going through the site.  I asked simply because if there was a specific area that you found particularly troublesome I would try to give priority to it. This brand change was a huge endeavour and naturally, we are still working out the kinks. I appreciate your candid feedback and patience!

Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@ChrystieV 

@LawrenceMMiller 

@SharonRamel 

Christie, If you truly and authentically appreciate my input, rather than just saying so as part of the 'new language', I wonder if you might please express it by going over to this thread and posting an update.

https://community.udemy.com/t5/Course-Management/Standards/m-p/82738/page/6

This is not entirely unrelated to the branding issue, as I will now indicate.

I propose that there is a major fracture and fissure in the modus operandi and communication style that transcends the new branding.

The planning and implementing of change seems to bypass open discussion with Instructors, and the announcements after the event are utterly patronizing, always claiming that you have Instructors in mind while simultaneously cutting them out of decisions.

This is one reason why 'teach with Udemy' is a somewhat insulting misnomer.

Had the branding been announced and revealed a priori, your own web design instructors would have told you immediately of its shortfalls.

Furthermore, you did not announce the rebrand as work in progress for which you were still working out the kinks. You announced it as this amazing gift that was surely going to impress and excite us all.

The fact is, what you espouse and what you claim does not correlate with what you do.

And I think many Instructors have indicated that in relation to a vast range of issues, most often pertaining to:

1. unrequested changes perceived as abruptly introduced without consult

2. requested changes that remain ignored

The rebrand is just the latest issue to exemplify this 'meta problem'.

In my view, Udemy should radically rethink their strategy when it comes to contemplating, developing, implementing, and announcing any changes.

For example, since the promise to investigate the bogus accreditation issue, 1 month ago, hundreds of thousands of dollars have been extracted from students through misleading advertising that claim accreditation where none exists, helping to refund this inadequate rebrand.

I do think there has been sufficient time for Udemy to have the decency to update us on progress. This would provide clear evidence that Udemy really do take the concerns of Instructors seriously, for which there is ample evidence to the contrary, including the way the rebranding has been handled.

Thank you.

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Human-Science  I agree, I wish I had an update for you regarding accreditations. I know it was very important to you and many of the other top community members. We shared your feedback and the entire thread with several stakeholders. As you know with organizations as large as ours, roadmaps are created 6 mos to a year out.  We are waiting to hear back when this will be prioritized.  When we have that information, I will update the thread.

In terms of our communication around the branding, this was a project that involved over 100 people and over a year of planning and executing. So while it may seem like we chose to work on the rebrand over the accreditation issue, the rebrand was already well underway and it required a lot of manpower. As with most rebrands, it was kept a secret from the public until we went live. We did, however, reveal our brand to a subset of instructors a week before the public reveal and had a really positive response. Unfortunately, not everyone feels the same.

As the new community manager, my goal is to increase transparency and route feedback to the right people. I’m 100% open to hopping on a call with you to hear your suggestions on how we could make your experience better.

LizBrownUX
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

@LawrenceMMiller 
I found the logo here:
https://www.udemy.com/ourbrand/
It's an SVG (meaning, an editable vector graphic that can be exported at any resolution). So I opened it in Adobe Illustrator and exported it a few ways:

udemy-logo-dark-background.jpg

udemy-logo-light-background.jpg

udemy-logo-on-dark.png

Udemy-logo-on-light.png

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

@LizBrownUX @ChrystieV 

I am confused. Previous messages were clear that we were not authorized to use this graphic. Has that changed? 

I see where this was in the message that you referenced, but it is not in the message that gave us the graphics we could use.

LizBrownUX
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Just checked what others were mentioning, and yeah looks like black on the bright purple fails for normal-sized text (text is considered "large" when it's 14 point font and bold or larger, or 18 points or larger). Anywhere on the site where the combo is used for normal-sized text, numbers, or an icon font, it's an accessibility violation.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 3.20.28 PM.pngsource: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/ 

And white text on the seafoam color:

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.52.42 PM.png

As used in the Instructor Social Media Graphics.

(Fun fact: For non-government websites like Udemy, accessibility compliance is required by law under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Typically only big companies get sued for having inaccessible websites/apps/software, since it's often not worth it to sue mom-and-pop shops, although they are required to have accessible websites all the same. But Udemy is big now... They certainly should be prioritizing WCAG compliance to avoid litigation.)

LizBrownUX
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

@LawrenceMMiller Ah that I don't know about. Can Udemy Instructors use the Udemy logo...
We were allowed to use it the day before yesterday, but you're right, I don't know about today. 

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

@LizBrownUX Actually, Liz, we were very explicitly told that we were not authorized to use it and it was reserved only for official Udemy corporate use. At least five different instructors have asked for a graphic of the logo we can use and we have not received a helpful response.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrystieV ….  Shocker.  Your special pool of instructors gave you really positive feedback.  When is Udemy gonna figure out that your “pool” of select instructors clearly is not representative of the population at large?  I keep telling Udemy this, but just keep getting ignored.

This isn’t the first time your “pool” of instructors got it wrong. 

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous  We are trying to bring more diverse representation to our instructor groups. In the coming weeks, we will be reinvigorating the Community Champions program and accepting new applications. My hope is that the Champions will become involved in these exclusive sessions with the Udemy team in the future.

Aside from the Champions program, you can also expect to see more AMA's and webinars with the Udemy team hosted inside of the community. All of this is to ensure that your voices are being heard and that you have more insight into the Udemy business.

LizBrownUX
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

@LawrenceMMiller Ah ok good to know! I guess I was thinking about the branded graphics they gave us previously that said "I Teach on Udemy" that had the Udemy logo on them: 

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.44.08 PM.png

https://brandfolder.com/udemy/instructors  (link doesn't seem to work anymore)

So, it appears that the new text-only graphics ("I teach with Udemy") are the new version of what we had before. And that the branding team purposefully omitted the logo from those. Probably for the same reasons you referenced - where instructors were told to not use the logo before. (Copyright, brand image, whatever it was.) I guess what they've provided is all that they would like instructors to use. 

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

@LawrenceMMiller @LizBrownUX I'm hoping to have a more formal statement from the legal team regarding the use of the logo. In the meantime, I appreciate your patience as we work through this.

Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@ChrystieV 

1. What does 'hopping on a call' mean? ('...I’m 100% open to hopping on a call with you to hear your suggestions'). The phrase means nothing to me.

2. Could you please update the thread on accreditation to let Instructors know that this has not even been prioritized for investigation yet, rather than just leaving it unattended as if it does not matter.

3. Now let me get this straight. You are telling me that after one month of promising action relating to Udemy's collusion with mis-selling courses as accredited, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to report because Udemy has not even deemed it worth investigating yet? If so, that is a blatant example of Udemy pretending to take Instructor concerns seriously while actually not caring about them at all.

Increasing numbers of professional organizations are advising their members that Udemy is not an acceptable platform for professional development, because of this scam sham extortion, while Instructors have invested swathes of time in identifying this as a serious impediment.

Yet you are telling me that your organization is of such mammoth size that you have to schedule the investigation of such an issue 6 to 12 months in advance. I never heard of such a situation anywhere else. Forgive my audacity, but it sounds like an excuse to ignore Instructors, of which there are so many examples on this forum it is disheartening in extremis.

3. So now, in addition to alienating a whole professional demographic by refusing to take the sham accreditation issue seriously enough to investigate - even though a suggested solution has been offered to you on a plate - you have alienated the entire population of those requiring basic website accessibility, such as readability. That includes me.

4. It seems to me that what Udemy does is ignore, ignore, ignore. Ignore Instructors when they express concern over serious misrepresentation of courses to gain sales. Ignore Instructors when they tell you your pool of specially selected advisory Instructors is not representative. Ignore Instructors when they ask for features that are easy to implement. Ignore Instructors when they ask you to share possible changes with them before implementing them. Ignore Instructors when they ask you to address them as sophisticated adult educators with centuries of combined experience, rather than kindergarten children.

5. Given that you are now in touch with your legal team about the use digital assets, it may be prudent to warn them of the pending storm of retribution when class action law suits start appearing on their desk as the accreditation facade comes tumbling down. And those who report on the issue will rightfully say '...and Udemy were warned about this by their own Instructors but chose to ignore it'.

No organization or individual is invincible, and Udemy's hubris may well be its undoing.

SharonRamel
Community Champion

@ChrystieV  There is nothing on the App, what I teach and the courses I am enrolled in are simply not there…… (I checked after complaints from students, I discourage them from using it as it is such a poor experience for them)

I previously used your branding kit as I was encouraged to do so…. I will not be using this one. 
Not sure if it is the branding, however I have my worst selling promo in 5 years.

Feedback from my students from my FB a group is it is cold and unfortunately sterile. They don’t understand what the new logo is about.

Real innovation like taking control of the fake accreditation would be appreciated - thanks @Human-Science @for bringing it forward again. Your answer on the lack of action was not credible. Udemy are well aware of the problem….

HindiHour
Observer
Observer

Hi, well, it will be a little unkind to pass on negative comments on the new branding that Udemy has just launched. But I feel as a family we should be the first ones to give correct feedback.

Purple & Black! Utterly disappointed!

This is a total mess, like many other changes that Udemy has brought in in the recent times in the guise of Upgrades.

The problem is a technically sound and a well qualified team who fails to understand users psychology. This has been happening with many big applications worldwide, surprisingly they choose to evolve for the worse.

So many drawbacks in the new design, not just one. Even the common sense will tell you what's wrong in the very first glance.

Well, I hope everything works as per plan of the company. All the best.

MG
Observer
Observer

@ChrystieV 

Question on the branding:  With the new logo using a lowercase "u" in udemy, will text references to the company name use title case "Udemy" or lowercase "udemy" ?

Whatever the answer, I would love to know the rationale behind it as I'm curious because I recently created a brand that has the same issue and struggled with the decision myself.  I would love to know how you guys decided.

Thank you.

ba0708
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Yikes! The old visual identity was much better. Sorry Udemy! 😕 Also, it was a bit weird to tease us in advance and try to get us that excited. A new brand is cool and all, but won't get us instructors too excited since everything is pretty much the same. So meh...

Dmytro Mamontov
Observer
Observer

Looks nice

debra1111
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

@ChrystieV Maybe Udemy can tackle some of the major complaints (like the app) so this Instructor community is more than just a complaining board? 90,000 instructors and three people are the main comments. Something has to be done to make this a more welcoming environment where questions get answered that do not involve frustration over low sales. At this point, the community just takes time away from creating lessons.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrystieV … so you want to rely on the feedback of community champions. What are the requirements for becoming a community champion? If part of that requirement is “always speak positive of Udemy”, like many of the current champions seem to do, I’m not sure what that buys you. 

So, what are the requirements to be a community champion? Because I’d apply if I thought it would ensure my voice is heard more closely - because I feel that my positions more closely align with those of the instructor community at large, than whatever feedback you are getting now. 

Pino
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

@AnonymousThere are two main requirements to be a Community Champion: (1) have a lot of time to put on the Udemy forum, and (2) write a lot (really a lot!) of posts, possibly containing links. The posts' content is not necessarily important or relevant as far as I can see, so just keep posting almost random stuff and you'll get the title 😉

DanielEvans
Specialist Specialist
Specialist

@Pino 

I'm sure that his queries were rhetorical, but you've brilliantly highlighted why it has little weight.

@ChrystieV 

' In the coming weeks, we will be reinvigorating the Community Champions program and accepting new applications. My hope is that the Champions will become involved in these exclusive sessions with the Udemy team in the future.'

There should be no reason why it takes a rank and privilege to gain exclusive contact with the Udemy team.  They should be jumping upon this community taking full advantage of the ongoing enthusiasm that all dedicated instructors have for the platform, who are trying through blood sweat and tears to improve upon it.

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous  For the Community Champions program, we are looking for vocal community members who aim to be mentors for other instructors and a sounding board for the community. Our goal is to make the community more of a resource center and a place to be inspired. Applications will be posted within the next few weeks and I encourage you to apply.

@Human-Science    In terms of ‘hopping on a call’…I mean that I’m open to having a Zoom chat with you to hear more about your Udemy experience. I realize that many of you have been here longer than I have, and it’s important for me to get to know all of you better.

@DanielEvans Sorry for the confusion, Udemy consults with a variety of instructors, not just the Community champions.

DanielEvans
Specialist Specialist
Specialist

@ChrystieV 

They should be consulting here in a public forum garnering non-bias opinions, of which, ample have been given already.

A divide only detracts from instructors having confidence in the platform.

Thor
Community Champion

Udemy Champions was the people who engaged and helped back on the FB groups, when we moved to forums it was similar roles but most of us are back to 2017/18 on FB. I know some Champions were added in 2019.

Honestly I think right now it is just an honorific, Champions engage and try to help but not really any formalized structure or any real feedback capacity to/with Udemy. 

I think the last formalized event was a breakfast at LIVE in 2019, I guess that may change soon.

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DanielEvans I agree that the community is a valuable channel for feedback. That is why we are working on different programs to route this feedback.

@Thor Yes! The Community Champions program will be slightly different going forward 🙂

CristinaVisão
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Eu gostei da mudança, ficou mais limpo, parabéns pelo novo visual. Só gostaria de saber se tem algum projeto para aumentar o valor pago aos instrutores porque hoje o valor repassado para nós é muito baixo.

Obrigada

Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@ChrystieV 

1. For the third time, will you please go to the bogus Accreditation thread and explain to all those instructors who devoted considerable time to that conversation that, not only has no action been taken, but the investigation has not even been scheduled, which may take a year. To withhold that information seems to be a scorching example of how Udemy claims to care about Instructors' concerns while simultaneously ignoring them. Had I not raised this issue again, would Udemy have left the thread in its falsely tagged 'Resolved' state, perhaps in the hope that people such as @LawrenceMMiller, @ElizabethHeck, @SharonRamel, and @Anonymous would forget about it.

2. Thank you for offering to conduct a Zoom conversation with me.

However, I am not comfortable with that at the moment for the following reasons.

A. You are not short of feedback about Instructor experience. The forum testifies to that. The shortfall is in the substantive response to that experience from Udemy.

B. If you want to ask specific questions about my experience, surely it is more respectful to the community to do that in writing here, where it can be witnessed by everyone, without risk of loss in translation. What can be said and documented on Zoom that cannot be more eloquently and incontrovertibly articulated here?

Notwithstanding, I appreciate the offer.

Again, please attend to the bogus accreditation thread.

Thank you.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Olá @CristinaVisão, ficamos felizes que você gostou do nosso novo visual!

Nós anunciamos à algumas semanas que iríamos fazer uma entrevista com o Vice-Presidente Sênior de Marketing e alguns instrutores aproveitaram para fazer perguntas sobre a parcela de receita do instrutor. Dentro de alguns dias iremos postar a entrevista em vídeo na nossa comunidade em português e você vai poder conferir uma resposta completa sobre isso. 🙂 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

CristinaVisão
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Olá Bella Almeida!

Obrigada por sua resposta, fico no aguardo dos próximos passos.

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @LawrenceMMiller & @LizBrownUX 

I wanted to give you an update on the use of the Udemy logo. The Udemy logo is reserved for official Udemy communications and this is because anything with a Udemy logo on it can be legally taken to mean we endorse it. This was the case with our previous logos, too. With tens of thousands of instructors across the whole internet, we can't moderate that every promise or statement being made under our logo is one we can endorse.

The "I teach with Udemy" graphics provided in the social media kit were designed to show the relationship between Udemy & Instructors, just as the previous "I teach on Udemy" graphics did. However, it sounds like they may have missed the mark on design. We've heard that the graphics are clunky and they don't feel close enough to other recognizable elements of the Udemy brand. We're bringing this feedback to our design team -- are there any other specific points about the previous or new social media kit items you'd like to raise?

JulianJenki396
Specialist Specialist
Specialist

Well done it looks clean and fresh and the colour I like to, but this is just my opinion x

KPutala66
Observer
Observer

The look is nice, but is it a coincidence I am having my worst month EVER right after this new rebrand launched?

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

@ChrystieV 

OK, I am going to have my say on this and then I am going to do my best to fade away because there are very disturbing and toxic things going on on this forum. I am going to say these things because I have loved Udemy. I have loved every minute of watching it grow and watching my courses sell. If that were not the case I would just shut up. 

Before saying what I want to say I need to tell you just a little about myself because perspective matters. I spent 45 years consulting with major corporations, coaching the senior teams and leading culture change efforts. These include Coca-Cola (the world's premiere branding corporaton), Shell Oil, Exxon, Honeywell, Honda, etc. I wrote a book, Barbarians to Bureaucrats, that was an actual NYTimes best seller (not a B.S. kindle thing!), on the rise and fall of corporate cultures corporate life-cycles. You should read it because I am watching it happen before my eyes in real time and you are playing on the stage. 

1. Earlier you said that because Udemy had now become a large company (1000 employees) it took weeks or months and three levels of committees to make a decision. I am sorry, but Udemy is a small company, maybe midsized, the size of a small division at Honeywell or other major companies. The problem is that you are beginning to think and act like a large bureaucratic company, a clear sign of cultural decay and an antecedent to economic decline. It has apparently become acceptable to think that being a "grown up" company means being slow. Do you know that Toyota can conceive, design, engineer, and begin production on a new car in one year. Casio designs and develops a new watch in 24 hour cycles. In a lean manufacturing plant, when employees make suggestions for improvement (think instructors) those suggestions are considered and processed and the employee is given feedback in 24 hours. Managers are evaluated on the percent of suggestions implemented and it better be high. Lean, Agile, Rapid cycle time, these are the things that characterize excellent companies, NOT SLOW!  This is how entrepreneurial companies die and fail to reach the next level of growth.

If it takes weeks to correct the horrific type on this site that is proof that your system is broke and needs to be redesigned.

2. Lawyers NEVER, and I mean NEVER, make decisions about operations because they always want minimum risk and maximum control. They are paid for reducing risk and not for growing the business. Executives make decisions, NOT lawyers!!!  In entreprenueral growing companies the executives are necessarily risk takers because you never have growth without risk. I can give you the logo of every company I have worked for. The idea that you can control the use of a logo defies the obvious technology of the internet. Your report that the lawyer had decided that we cannot use the new logo and that this "is the same as with the previous logo" is entirely inaccurate. We were given and encouraged to use the previous logo. But then we were trusted partners.

3. It has always been understood that content creators, the instructors, are literally half of the business model and their engagement and support is essential. I was shocked when you said that you had an "Instructor Advocacy" team at Udemy, but it didn't have any instructors on it. It was only staff. Wow! And, yes you have labeled some instructors as partners or champions or whatever. That should indicate some genuine engagement of those instructors beyond comments on this forum. What that engagement actually has looked like is a team, like the branding team, making a presentation to the group and responding to questions. That is good, by itself, but it is not genuine engagement. It is sharing decisions already made. If you had actually engaged instructors in the changes to this web page, do you think one out of a hundred given a real choice and real engagement, would have said "Oh yeah, we really love grey, small lettering on a light grey background?" Nor would anyone have said that the graphics were ones they wanted to promote on their website. Listening, engaging, is not presenting. Engagement is a collaborative process, a process among partners in the process. Giving new names new labels will not change this. 

You need to ask why more, most, leading instructors do not participate in this forum. Where is Angela Yu, Colt Steele, Chris Croft, etc. etc? Why are leading instructors not participating in this forum? I think I know the answer but you should know it also.

4. When a group of people grow increasingly frustrated and feel that they have no control, they increasingly turn on each other. I will say no more. It is obvious. 

@ChrystieV @Bella These remarks are not about either of you or how you do your job. I am sure you are capable and well meaning. All of the above comments are directed at the larger system and the managers who need to take responsibility for fixing an obviously broken system before it is too late. 

SharonRamel
Community Champion

Here here @LawrenceMMiller , the frustration is palpable. 

SAPBuddy
Observer
Observer

@ChrystieV it looks the discussion is not heading in right direction. There are many instructors who teach how to run business(not me😊). They will have different view on decisions. Most of successful instructors are sharing the experience rather than content creators, take some valuable points and conclude it. Hope we could fine balance on the way.

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

@KPutala66  changes like these are always launched during the slowest month of the year.

So no coincidence, but not in the way that you think.

Udemy would never launch a rebrand during a busy season.

Human-Science
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@ChrystieV 

It seems you logged in to this thread. Answered a post about a logo just below my third request for the same input. Then ignored that request and logged out. One minute you offer me a Zoom call. The next you totally ignore me.

So here we go for a fourth time.

Please update the thread pertaining to bogus accreditation so that all the instructors who gave significant amounts of time and thought to that issue are afforded an opportunity to know where things stand.

@Bella 

What is your role here.

Is it not appropriate for you to answer posts that clearly remain without response?

Let me try you.

Could you go to the Accreditation thread and provide an update regarding the status of that issue if you colleague @ChrystieV has no intention of doing so.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Human-Science I agree. They need to address publicly their main issues.

Here is some text from the landing page of a course offering a certificate in nutrition:

"We offer a CPD Certificate which is different from the Udemy's Certificate of Completion. If you want your CPD Certificate from us, you are required to provide your full name and email-address. Your details will remain confidential with us."

My course was not approved by Udemy until I removed text in my cover image and this direct infringement of terms, which I believe to be common to ALL courses that promise certification, is there fooling everyone.

There is a [top, by Udemy standards] instructor claiming to provide certification in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and there's another one in Forensic Psychology. 

There are thousands of courses that show up for "certificate" and "accreditation" and similars. Don't tell me Udemy has no idea.

If Udemy agreed on different terms with some or all of these instructors, then they should come clean about it.

Otherwise, I think they need to provide PUBLIC feedback on how they've managed these issues. It's disrespectful and disloyal to all of the instructors who play by the rules. Not to mention the students who are being lied to by both Udemy and unethical "instructors".

If Udemy has a problem in finding these instructors, I can compile a list of names and classes and make it public. No problem.

PetrosEfthymiou
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

Picking a more gender neutral colour than violet would send a better message for inclusiveness.

SharonRamel
Community Champion

@Anonymous - they know exactly who these instructors are, this issue has been percolating for a few years. I have made a few attempts at bringing it to their attention - both in-person whilst attending Udemy Live, via direct email contact with people within Udemy AND on this forum. I have at times gotten excited thinking a level playing field was coming as the scammers would - yes no longer be able to offer their fake Diplomas and accreditation. 

The fact remains they are still all doing it. More join them. I refuse. One instructor even started his own successful fake certificate mill.