Any suggestions for students to download larger files?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions for students to download larger files?

Go to solution

I'm looking to make an in depth course related to Video Post-Production.  I want my students to be able to work with professional camera files, which are often-times very large.  A typical day of shooting can yield more than 1TB of information, but I will be scaling the materials down to 50-100gb.  I've been thinking of providing a DropBox Transfer link, or a CloudBerry Explorer link.  I'm a bit worried about students shying away from this, but if they want to take post-production seriously, then I think this is the only way to do it.  Any suggestions or alternatives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hi @ChristianRush, thank you for reaching out to us with your question. Providing large files for your students can be a challenge, but there are some solutions you can consider.

Dropbox Transfer and CloudBerry Explorer are both good options to transfer large files, but I understand your concern. Another option you can consider is using a cloud storage service that allows you to share files with specific people or groups. For example, Google Drive or OneDrive can be good options for sharing large files with your students. Ultimately, you just need to ensure that the students don't need to submit/enter their email addresses in order to download your files. 

Another consideration is to compress the files to reduce their size, making them easier to download. You can use file compression software such as WinZip, 7-Zip, or WinRAR to do this.

Lastly, you can also consider breaking down the larger files into smaller, more manageable chunks. This can make the downloading process easier for your students, and they can work on the course content in smaller parts.

I hope these suggestions help, and wish you the best of luck with your course! 

If anyone in our community has additional suggestions or tips, we encourage you to share them in the comments below. 👇

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hi @ChristianRush, thank you for reaching out to us with your question. Providing large files for your students can be a challenge, but there are some solutions you can consider.

Dropbox Transfer and CloudBerry Explorer are both good options to transfer large files, but I understand your concern. Another option you can consider is using a cloud storage service that allows you to share files with specific people or groups. For example, Google Drive or OneDrive can be good options for sharing large files with your students. Ultimately, you just need to ensure that the students don't need to submit/enter their email addresses in order to download your files. 

Another consideration is to compress the files to reduce their size, making them easier to download. You can use file compression software such as WinZip, 7-Zip, or WinRAR to do this.

Lastly, you can also consider breaking down the larger files into smaller, more manageable chunks. This can make the downloading process easier for your students, and they can work on the course content in smaller parts.

I hope these suggestions help, and wish you the best of luck with your course! 

If anyone in our community has additional suggestions or tips, we encourage you to share them in the comments below. 👇

Go to solution

Thanks Bella.  I think I will move forward with those original ideas then. 

FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Be sure to understand the costs you will incur when student downloads 100GB for your course. It could really eat into your proceeds from the enrollment or even cause you to lose money on the deal.

Go to solution

I don't think this will eat into my costs since I already own a Dropbox Professional account.  So I think since I won't need to increase my dropbox space for a Dropbox Transfer tool, there should be no decrease in my proceeds.  If I'm missing something though, I'm all ears!!!

Go to solution

Satisfying 

Go to solution

Tips for Large File Downloads

Yes, here are a few suggestions for students to download larger files:

Use a Download Manager: Download managers are software programs that can help you download larger files more efficiently. They can split the file into smaller parts and download them simultaneously, which can increase the download speed and reliability. Some popular download managers include Internet Download Manager (IDM), Free Download Manager (FDM), and EagleGet.

Download at non-peak hours: Downloading larger files during non-peak hours, such as early morning or late night, can help you avoid network congestion and improve the download speed.

Use a wired connection: If possible, use a wired connection instead of a wireless connection to download larger files. Wired connections are generally faster and more stable than wireless connections, which can help you avoid interruptions and improve the download speed.

Clear your browser cache: Clearing your browser cache can help you free up space and improve the download speed. You can do this by going to your browser settings and selecting "Clear browsing data" or "Clear cache."

Use a different browser: If you're having trouble downloading a large file in one browser, try using a different browser. Sometimes, certain browsers may have issues with downloading larger files, so switching to a different browser can help you download the file more easily.

Use a VPN: Using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) can help you bypass network restrictions and improve your download speed. A VPN can also help you protect your privacy and security while downloading larger files.

Go to solution

Well the best way to do is compress the video file and upload by parting it into small pieces. 

That will also create lot of clearance among your students 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors