Benefit of a Course Theme

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit of a Course Theme

I’ve written a number of books, both fiction and nonfiction. Each book had a theme, such as “children are rule followers, adults should become rule makers.” Until now, I have neglected doing that for my courses. What a mistake.

My course on teambuilding is a good example. Without a theme, my course competed against all such courses, many of which taught well-known team building models. The model I teach is not well known, so it is floundering.

I am going to give the course a theme: “Team building can be simple, easy, quick and effective.”  This tagline will differentiate my course from others. It’s the classic effort to be different and better than the competition. Creating a theme helps me find that element in my courses.

As an academic, I tend to focus on content, not the student. Creating a theme aimed at engaging potential students helps me overcome this tendency.

Robert Brown, Ph.D.
Unique insights for personal & business success
1 Reply
MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RobertBrown028,

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Your approach of considering your target audience when choosing keywords, topics, and themes is a great strategy. We are excited to see the impact of implementing this approach on your course performance.

Please do keep us updated on how it goes! 😊

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!