Benefit of a Course Theme

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit of a Course Theme

I’ve written a number of books, both fiction and nonfiction. Each book had a theme, such as “children are rule followers, adults should become rule makers.” Until now, I have neglected doing that for my courses. What a mistake.

My course on teambuilding is a good example. Without a theme, my course competed against all such courses, many of which taught well-known team building models. The model I teach is not well known, so it is floundering.

I am going to give the course a theme: “Team building can be simple, easy, quick and effective.”  This tagline will differentiate my course from others. It’s the classic effort to be different and better than the competition. Creating a theme helps me find that element in my courses.

As an academic, I tend to focus on content, not the student. Creating a theme aimed at engaging potential students helps me overcome this tendency.

Robert Brown, Ph.D.
Unique insights for personal & business success
1 Reply
MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RobertBrown028,

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Your approach of considering your target audience when choosing keywords, topics, and themes is a great strategy. We are excited to see the impact of implementing this approach on your course performance.

Please do keep us updated on how it goes! 😊

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors