Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Skillshare with Udemy?

Go to solution

Hello everybody 🙂

I created my first Udemy course: link removed, breaking rules

Also, I added my course to Skillshare: link removed. breaking rules

My questions for you:

1. Can I do that? Is it legal? Udemy is my main platform, so I will delete my course on Skillshare if I am breaking your rules.

2. If I can post my course to Skillshare, can I give it for free to my friends with coupon (course is not free on Skillshare, I only want to give it free with the coupon to my friends)? Please let me know is it legal on your side, so I not get banned from you because of that. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Udemy won't ban you for publishing your course on Skillshare or for creating free coupons for your friends. You own your course, not Udemy, and your license to Udemy is non-exclusive (usually - see below.)

You're more likely to be banned on Skillshare; they inconsistently enforce their content guidelines and they aren't the same as Udemy's. You'll have to be sure your course adheres to both sets of rules (for example, you seem to have your logo shown throughout your videos, and SkillShare doesn't like that, although Udemy allows it.)

There is one exception - if you have accepted the terms for Udemy for Business (UFB) and your course is published on UFB, they do require exclusivity to Udemy. 

One more thing - you'll want to remove the direct link to your course in your post before an admin tells you do so (that's against the forum rules intended to prevent self-promotion in the group.)

View solution in original post

FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

If you select a course in your instructor dashboard, you'll see a little gear icon in the upper right corner of the course screen. From there it will tell you if you have opted into UFB and other information.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

Udemy won't ban you for publishing your course on Skillshare or for creating free coupons for your friends. You own your course, not Udemy, and your license to Udemy is non-exclusive (usually - see below.)

You're more likely to be banned on Skillshare; they inconsistently enforce their content guidelines and they aren't the same as Udemy's. You'll have to be sure your course adheres to both sets of rules (for example, you seem to have your logo shown throughout your videos, and SkillShare doesn't like that, although Udemy allows it.)

There is one exception - if you have accepted the terms for Udemy for Business (UFB) and your course is published on UFB, they do require exclusivity to Udemy. 

One more thing - you'll want to remove the direct link to your course in your post before an admin tells you do so (that's against the forum rules intended to prevent self-promotion in the group.)

Go to solution

Thank you so much for your answer. Can you please tell me where can I check if I accepted UFB?

FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

If you select a course in your instructor dashboard, you'll see a little gear icon in the upper right corner of the course screen. From there it will tell you if you have opted into UFB and other information.

Go to solution

Thank you so much. You helped me a lot. .) I have opted into UFB, now I write to Udemy support to remove me from UFB, hope they will do that asap.

Go to solution

is this up to date?

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hey @rjaustria328 on Udemy's side, I can confirm that the information is still valid. You can offer your course on other services, but we ask that your course is never offered for a lower price than on Udemy. Note that if your course is included in the Udemy Business content collection, per the Promotions Policy, there may be additional distribution restrictions. The license terms are outlined in detail in Udemy’s instructor terms.

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

Go to solution

thank you in uploading to youtube to drive traffic to udemy course how many percent is allowed to upload there? thank you ma'am @Bella you are awesome!

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

You're welcome @rjaustria328

It is permissible to put your free previewable videos on YouTube - many instructors offer a preview of their course, but not extended pieces. I recommend contacting our Trust & Safety team at policy@udemy.com for more information about the percentage allowed.

For courses in the Udemy Business collection, you can refer to this thread for more information on exclusivity. 🙂

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

Go to solution

Thanks for enlightening us on this  issu.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors