Course publishing based on another author's book

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Course publishing based on another author's book

Go to solution

Is it permissible to utilize a book authored by someone else as a foundational resource for producing my instructional videos and subsequently launching my course on Udemy?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hi @AhmadSalman672

Welcome to the community! I recommend contacting our policy team directly at policy@udemy.com. They will tell you whether you can publish a course based on a 3rd party book. 

Please let us know if you have additional questions 😊.

PS: Did you know that there is a free and official Udemy course about course creation? If not, check it out here

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Your question is about the boundaries of copyright law. But in addition, there is the issue of simple ethics. As an author I have a somewhat strong opinion on this.

First, all of us who publish creative or intellectual content draw on the work of others. In my management courses, on "lean" for example, I draw on the original work of Ohno, Shingo, Jeff Liker and others. I refer to their work and recommend reading their work. This is perfectly acceptable whether in writing or in an online course.

Second, if I were to take Jeff Liker's book, for example, and use his chapter titles as the outline of my course and make the content similar to his book, without actually copying word for word, I would be testing the legal boundary of copyright law, and I would definitely be over the ethical boundary. Your legal right could be challenged. I would not do this without the written permission of the original author. 

Third, and this should be obvious, if you use someone else material, directly and word for word, you are outside of both legal and ethical boundaries. Don't do it!

Fourth, as an "expert" instructor the student expects to get YOUR knowledge and experience, not the parroting of someone else's. Someone who is a true expert has learned from many different sources on a subject, even contrary views, and assimilates those into his/her own work. If you are simply drawing on only one authors work, it is a clear sign that you are NOT expert in that topic and it discredits you. 

I hope that helps.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Hi, many thanks for the comprehensive response as well as for presenting different perspectives.

MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hi @AhmadSalman672

Welcome to the community! I recommend contacting our policy team directly at policy@udemy.com. They will tell you whether you can publish a course based on a 3rd party book. 

Please let us know if you have additional questions 😊.

PS: Did you know that there is a free and official Udemy course about course creation? If not, check it out here

Go to solution

Many thanks for the feedback. I will contact them.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors