cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Free Course is A great way of getting students useful

Go to solution

I am New to udemy 

So just want to get advice 

Launching Free Course is Good to get Students or Having a Free Coupons code is Good 

On what Basics Students will enroll more ? 

Free Coupons or Free Course 

What's yours suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AliciaPaz
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

You will get many answers, for me, I created 1 free course to test this.  I got a ton of students, very little engagement and reviews were hit/miss over maybe 4 months before making it paid and now it's a best seller.  It was neither good nor bad and I got 1 free student to buy another course.

My new method is I make paid courses and then give away some free coupons usually a select group of people; people in my field via Linkedin, sometimes prior students who I know can't afford it and sometimes social media giveaways.  I create at most 10 free coupons a month to students I see either as a referral source (for me LinkedIn) or those who will engage in the course who are likely to leave a review.  

That being said you have some successful courses on here so I would also question if you need a free course unless you are doing this for altruistic reasons or a test to see if it funnels into more paid students in your other courses.  For me, it didn't go bad or good, but while it was free my reviews took a hit down to 4.0 which made my paid courses less desirable imo.

Alicia Paz M.A, QMHP

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AliciaPaz
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

You will get many answers, for me, I created 1 free course to test this.  I got a ton of students, very little engagement and reviews were hit/miss over maybe 4 months before making it paid and now it's a best seller.  It was neither good nor bad and I got 1 free student to buy another course.

My new method is I make paid courses and then give away some free coupons usually a select group of people; people in my field via Linkedin, sometimes prior students who I know can't afford it and sometimes social media giveaways.  I create at most 10 free coupons a month to students I see either as a referral source (for me LinkedIn) or those who will engage in the course who are likely to leave a review.  

That being said you have some successful courses on here so I would also question if you need a free course unless you are doing this for altruistic reasons or a test to see if it funnels into more paid students in your other courses.  For me, it didn't go bad or good, but while it was free my reviews took a hit down to 4.0 which made my paid courses less desirable imo.

Alicia Paz M.A, QMHP

Go to solution

There will be instructors who have benefitted from Free courses. 

Personally I have had a negative experience,  I am never going to put a free course on Udemy again.  

My funda is if I ever want to Give a free course I would host it on a self hosting site like Teachable or Thinkific and use it as a lead magnet rather than depend on the quality of traffic from Udemy search. 

By self hosting you make sure you get students who want to learn and not random course collectors - and you get something in return - a contact .

Better to give out free coupons to selected audience. 

Go to solution

Gracias por la pregunta y por las respuestas.

Estaba evaluando la posibilidad de colocar un curso gratuito como estrategia para llegar a mas alumnos, pero con las respuestas me queda claro que no es una buena idea.

Revisaré el tema de los cupones.

Muchas gracias.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors