Engagement with first free course

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engagement with first free course

Hi 
I published my first course a few days back. Its about management, and I decided to make it free as the first one, to try to build up a learner base. So far 33 people enrolled but only one actually studied anything and that person did 5 minutes of a 40 minute course. I realize that many people wont access or finish a course they enroll in... but are there statistics on engagement levels versus enrollment levels? 

I guess less people will enroll on a paid course but if they pay they are more likely to engage?
Any stats on that?

Thanks for any thoughts. Also thoughts on marketing. I have been trying with Twitter and Facebook.

4 Replies

@AineP 

There is almost no good reason to offer a course for free. First of all, 99% of the signups you get will be done by bots that constantly look for free courses and then sign up. I have no idea why they do this or why Udemy allows it. Secondly, Udemy does not permit you to promote to students who acquired a free course. 

Thank you. I decided to charge for it.

Por experiencia las personas cuando pagan un curso se comprometen más que cuando es gratis.

Salil Dhawan
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I can add to this from both my experience as instructor or student. As a student if I see a free course my first step is let me get it, even if I dont end up going through it, its better to enroll and have than to not have. Thats my same thinking with free coupons that to use the coupon now before it expires and then when I have time I will take the course, usually though that never happens. 
Secondly from instructor point of view, the free student is in terms on marketing not at the engaged level, he just clicked so is just interested, whereas a paid student is interested, then desired it, paid for it and will most often that not want to get his money's worth. 
I do have a free course, that is sorf of a gateway course for students to get a feel for my teaching and then move onto paid course, but in general free courses have low engagement, low reviews and as a result instructors put low quality content. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors