How Safe Am I with 720p ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Safe Am I with 720p ?

I've just encountered a roadblock while I was trying to make some 1080p clips.

Please give it to me straight.

If I have to inject another delay, so be it.

However, if 720p will produce a good result, then please let me know, as I'm clearly on the right road now.

The annoying details are...

• My current screen max is 1600x900 
  • That means I can't do 1080
  • I can fiddle it and make it 1280x720

The thing I'm facing is screen capture and video editing software; he's demanding pixel for pixel perfection (which is fine, understandable, and really, what we all want)

I searched these forums and it appears that if I use 720p  right now, that everything will work out fine; and if I'm reading correctly (correction welcome) the 720p will actually work out better than the 1080p

So then, how safe am I dropping back to 720 ?

Please advise the clueless newbee

5 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @CLINT 720p (1280 x 720) is the minimum resolution required for uploading videos on the Udemy platform. So, if you want to create an HD video, switch the resolution of your screen to 1280 x 720 with a program to switch resolutions.

Also, know that Udemy has enabled an “Adaptive Streaming” player for course videos, and we’re gradually adding this to all courses. This means that students will be able to choose an “Auto” streaming option for courses and that 720p is the maximum manual resolution choice. 1080p will be possible for your course videos, but only when “Auto” is selected, and students have the streaming capability and screen size to take advantage of 1080p.

Once your course is published, feel free to reach out to instructorsupport@udemy.com, and we can speed up your course’s inclusion in the Adaptive Streaming player, to make sure that students can access your videos in full 1080p.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community team

Hold it, thrilling events happened

Can I record in 1600 by  900 ?

If so, this solves problems, like super good solves them.

So far, when I search this site for this answer, I see posts with "720p" and "1080p", but nothing about 900p  (is there even such a thing ? Can't keep up with industry marketing departments)

-------------------------

[[[-- Tags 1600x900 --]]]

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @CLINT,

This question is slightly technical. However, I will share the article that helped me when I was a newbie. I followed this support article: https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229232767-Video-Standards-and-Choosing-a-Camera

Hope this is helpful 🙂

@Rahul Iyer 

Thanks Rahul; Checked out your link. I'm pretty sure that my eyes have see that page at least once; but certainly no harm in reviewing something as important as this.

I'm still unclear

With my hardware and software, the 1600x900 screen recorder is consistent and dependable, while the other resolutions just go to pot with mysterious and unexplained behavior which I'm not in the mood to chase for days and weeks at a time.

I have placed a 74 second test video on the test video section of Udemy yesterday (and I'm chomping at the bit for them to tell me "yes") so it looks like I'll just have to wait and see.

Hey, thanks anyway; nice to know that guys like you exist.

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Super @CLINT,

I think you did the right thing by submitting your video. I almost forgot about that option. If they say "yes" you are all set.

😊

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors