How often do students sign up and then refund themselves..

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often do students sign up and then refund themselves..

a few days later without even saying hello?

I had a stranger sign up for my class, now they are gone, and then they must have gotten a refund. How often does that happen?

Painful.

3 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @PatrickWald713 Udemy has a no-questions-asked, 30-day guarantee refund policy for all students. This eliminates a barrier for students unfamiliar with online learning or unsure of its value to them. We ultimately see that the benefit -- bringing on new students who might not otherwise feel comfortable purchasing -- outweighs the risk that some students might take advantage of the policy. We are taking additional steps to identify bad actors and limit their ability to request a refund. You can information here to get more details about the refund system.

All that said, I know that it can be frustrating when you see a student who has purchased the course and then asks for a refund, and we're sorry you had that experience.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

@PatrickWald713 Ignore it. My refund rate runs about one percent per month. I pay no attention to it. The calculation is that more people are attracted by the refund policy then abuse it. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Unfortunately Patrick this is the typical experience on Udemy for me. I have asked about the abuses to their refund policies for a long time. And they always say the same thing that they enforce rules. But in the end it makes no difference. I used to sell high end trading courses and would loser about 20-30% of my monthly revenue to refunds. Other users tell me that their average refunds are like 102% but I have never seen that happen. I am guessing they probably sell very popular cheap courses. But if you are selling high end courses refunds will screw you.

I ended up closing all my courses here and am now selling them myself through Thinkific where I can dictate my own refund policies. I've already sold the same number I sold on Udemy the first half of the month, but I know they can;t just try to steal the content and then get a refund.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors