My first Week of Launch - 55$ in Net Earnings. Am I doing well?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first Week of Launch - 55$ in Net Earnings. Am I doing well?

Go to solution

Hi guys, 

My course got 55$ in Net earnings for me in the first week, 20 Students. My second course will be coming out on Friday. 

Are these good numbers to get started with? Keep in mind, I have barely done any marketing myself. So the students are mostly coming from Udemy themselves. 

For perspective, I want to hit 500 Dollars A month from Udemy in the next 3 Months. And I want to commit 30% of my work time a week to teaching.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

@HyperDev112 - First off $55 in your first month is awesome!  (I did $18 in mine...)

It's REALLY easy to get into the headspace of checking #'s every day (or multiple times a day....).  I try to avoid that for two reasons

1. It's distraction - the 5 minutes spent looking at your metrics could be better spent thinking about your next course / editing something / reading / self-care / etc.

2. This is a longer-term game - My first few months I was doing under $20 with my first course.  It took time for my marketing / outreach to make an impact, and for the course to gather ratings / etc.

It is also not uncommon for the # of sales to spike, or dip... one of my courses decided to double revenue last September... then drop back to August levels in October. (there must be SOME reason, but I can't figure it out...). I also see substantial dips on the weekends (my courses tend to align more with business skills, which may help explain the dip), so a 2-3 day dip isn't too much of a concern.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Go to solution

@HyperDev112 

Yes….you are off to a great start! Keep going and keep us updated…

Go to solution

So, currently it has been 3 days, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, today and I haven't made any more sales. On Sunday I turned on Udemy for business, I am wondering if that has influenced my drop in sales. Going to do two things. 

1. I am removing the Udemy for business setting. (Also I realise that would make my course exclusive to Udemy) which I am not ready for yet due to me not yet hitting enough money to survive. But I will consider it again later. 

2. Making changes to my course. Changing my Promotion Video to make it shorter and more to the point.  Adding in some lectures to be previewed. And changing up my Course image to be more enticing. 

Fernando_Her85
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @HyperDev112 

55 on the first week is excellent, I made 80 on my first month on Udemy (many years ago)

Don't struggle to much refreshing the sales page, also the UB net amount will be reflected around 7 days after the month finishes.

My recommendation will be to keep working on new courses and try to socialize your current course, upload some of your best videos on YouTube, post on facebook communities that are about your topic and basically keep creating better courses.

That is what you need to start, don't think you will earn thousands on your first month, is not about the money at your current stage, is about to create great content and attract as many students as you can.

Later you can send them promotional and educational emails directly via Udemy.

Go to solution

@Fernando_Her85  I understand. But is it normal for me to go from around 12 Dollars in sales to no sales for 3 days? Mentally I want to try and make sure it sells something every day. 

I am currently working on my second course. I will work on sharing the link to my current course around more. Will see how this pans out.

Go to solution

@HyperDev112 - First off $55 in your first month is awesome!  (I did $18 in mine...)

It's REALLY easy to get into the headspace of checking #'s every day (or multiple times a day....).  I try to avoid that for two reasons

1. It's distraction - the 5 minutes spent looking at your metrics could be better spent thinking about your next course / editing something / reading / self-care / etc.

2. This is a longer-term game - My first few months I was doing under $20 with my first course.  It took time for my marketing / outreach to make an impact, and for the course to gather ratings / etc.

It is also not uncommon for the # of sales to spike, or dip... one of my courses decided to double revenue last September... then drop back to August levels in October. (there must be SOME reason, but I can't figure it out...). I also see substantial dips on the weekends (my courses tend to align more with business skills, which may help explain the dip), so a 2-3 day dip isn't too much of a concern.

Go to solution

Unfortunately me i have a lack in video ...

Go to solution

Hello @HyperDev112 

Great work! I hope you succeed in your journey here.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors