New frustrated instructor.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New frustrated instructor.

Hi guys, it's me again.

I published my first two courses in August but my conversation rate is too low. I have changed my landing page a couple of times already. I suspect that people don't like my South African accent. Can somebody rate my accent and pronounciation please. Am I easy to understand ? 

I cannot think of another reason why my conversation rate is low now. I have changed my mic, changed my landing page and promo vid a couple of times.

2 Replies

Hi @ElaJones 

I listened to your promotional video and your accent is a little thick but I could understand you pretty well. I think the problem you are having is the number of courses that already exist that cover using OOP with PHP. 

I did a Udemy search for PHP OOP with course ratings of 4.5 or higher. I got back 2,515 results. I think this is your problem. You are competing against a huge number of existing courses covering the same topic. 

To be quite honest, if I had to decide between purchasing a PHP OOP course rated 4.5 or higher with hundreds of ratings, or a course from a new author, I normally would not select the course from the new author. This is a problem every new author runs into. You will need to draw students to your course yourself until you can gain some traction. Then Udemy might do some marketing on your behalf.

Thank for taking time to reply to my post. I'm currently watching accent reduction vids on YouTube, I hope my accent will improve over time. 

I'll see if I can make my first free for a couple of months or weeks just to attract students

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors