Should I have made my first course free?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I have made my first course free?

My first course was published 3 weeks now and I have not had one student. Perhaps my next class should be free to invite students to my cooking class. Any suggestions anyone, thanks everyone!

6 Replies

I think it makes sense, you should let people know you first, trust you, if you are a new instructor with no students and review , it would be a little hard for people to enroll your course. so build trust by creating and publishing a good free course, and then after a while, publish a paid course.

Hey mate,

It takes time. I think that we (as new course creators) should not become to impatient and caught up with student enrolments, or our revenue stream. Just enjoy the teaching process, that's the most important part of this whole experience.

It does feel frustrating, but I recommend that you keep making courses, and keep persisting. It might take months or even a year to benefit from your courses. However, I think you should focus on the process - enjoy making your cooking classes. 

After all, you probably really love what you do, so make a few courses and make a one or two for free. Once you build a small audience (because you will eventually get enrolments) then expand into more in-depth courses, that require more serious learners.

I hope this helped in some way.

Regards,

Marco 

This is quality, I've noted this. Thank you

Im looking forward to teaching and creating content. My first intention with Udemy Instrutor was to create better courses than the ones I've used to study. Im a professional trainer and generally do a lot of training groups, but I've never done online courses. Im enjoying the process, but yeah, the revenue is a bonus. Im excited to use the Q&A feature which isn't available on free courses.

Hey mate,

You're exactly right.

If you simply enjoy the process, the rest falls into place. You obviously enjoy teaching and making content (and you're probably good at it), so make a course that you would consider enrolling into.

Hope your course creation goes well buddy.

Marco

You could try changing the thumbnail. See how that goes for a couple of weeks.

I would change the title to something to get them motivated to take right now. "Learn roasting to impress holiday guests" etc. The title can be changed after the holidays. Not everyone will like the idea of changing the title, but I like the since of urgency especially how people put off paid courses. I would also be more inclined to buy if you put your credentials in the 2nd line of the title subject.

Promoting the course on YouTube can help with most subjects. Just have a complete lesson, so they see your style and get value. Offering free coupons to a few people there or to friends will get reviews.

As soon as I published my first course last week I issued a free coupon and posted it on a bunch of Facebook groups for free Udemy coupons. I now have 11440 students, though no one has paid yet.

I think its all about building an audience, publishing lots of courses, and then the sales will come.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors