Tax for Non-US Residentials

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax for Non-US Residentials

Hi everyone. I am new here. I haven't sold any courses yet but I want to be aware of all the legal requirements needed from instructors.

I am not familiar with US tax procedures. 

I was reading about the tax information but I am a bit unclear of what documents are exactly needed to pay the IRS. I am from Trinidad and Tobago. Can you guide me along as to what tax documents are required? 

Will the royalty tax be deducted before being paid revenue income? 

For a non-us resident, what other tax forms should I be aware of to submit other than W-8BEN,W-8ECI and Form 1042-S? Can you explain the difference of each type of tax form? 

I believe my country has a tax treaty with the US. 

What are the relevant tax documents  mandatory to be resubmitted and how often? Will Udemy notify me? 

Also  if I decide to terminate selling my course, will ISR be automatically updated so I won't be able to continue to pay royalty taxes?

Please help.

Thank you for any feedback in advance.

2 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Anonymous Our tax form tool provides instructors with the ability to select from a variety of different tax forms, including:

• W-9 (used by U.S. individuals and entities to certify their Tax ID number)
  • W-8BEN (used by non-U.S. individuals to certify that they are a beneficial owner or a financial account-holder, and claim treaty benefits)
  • W-8BEN-E (used by non-U.S. entities to certify they’re a beneficial owner or a financial account-holder, and claim treaty benefits)
  • We also support the ability to submit certain less-common types of forms through our Support Help Center:
  • W-8ECI (used by non-U.S. individuals or entities to certify they’re a beneficial owner receiving U.S.-sourced income that is effectively connected with US trade or business)
  • W-8EXP (used by non-U.S. governments or other tax-exempt entities to certify they’re a beneficial owner or a financial account-holder)
  • W-8IMY (used by non-U.S. entities to certify they’re an intermediary or flow-through entity receiving payments on behalf of another person)

Choosing the right form will depend on where you live, whether you’re an individual or entity, and other specifics. Since Udemy is unable to provide tax advice, we recommend that you consult with a tax advisor to ensure you’re using the right form and entering the information correctly. Also, regarding the remaining questions, I'll recommend you to reach out to instructorsupport@udemy.com.

Regards,

Eliana 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Eliana. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors