Time Vs Price ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Vs Price ?

if you are students, what will you choose, long course duration or cheap price course ?

6 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

The short answer: both. Marketplace students want the best value for their money, and the Udemy Deals program ensures that most courses are "cheap" to begin with.

The longer answer: you need to study the existing top-selling courses in your category (they are easy to find via the Marketplace Insights tool.) If you expect your course to sell, it needs to compare favorably to whatever courses are already entrenched with large numbers of positive reviews, and large numbers of enrollments. That can tell you roughly how long a successful course needs to be in order to be competitive in your category.

I took a look at your course, and it's a fairly niche category that may not have much competition to begin with. If you're struggling with sales, I suspect it's not really about your price or your course length, but how many Udemy students are looking for what you have to teach in the first place. Again, the marketplace insights tool can help you understand the demand for your topic. Udemy isn't the right place for everything; if Udemy isn't the place people go to learn about mining, then Udemy might not be the place for your course.

Finally, if your course is destined for the Udemy Business program, then all bets are off. Udemy Business learners aren't paying out of pocket for their course, so they value their time more than the money. In Udemy Business, you may find that shorter courses attract more enrollments, because busy corporate learners can't afford to spend 20 hours taking some incredibly expansive course when all they need is some specific thing. However we are paid by the amount of time Udemy Business learners engage with our content, so you still don't want your course to be *too* short.

Hi @FrankKane you are really great instructor, i really like your insight, i will do your suggestion later

big thanks

valuable thoughts and practices .👍

@YousryAbbas912 some of great words, thanks

Hi @Rahmat S.T. - That is really a rather pointless question because all courses can be purchased very cheaply if you are willing to wait until the next sale, which is usually within the next week or two, if a sale isn't already occurring. Therefore, it doesn't matter if a course is priced at $29.95 or $89.95, wait until the next sale and it can be purchased for $11.95 (or less). Besides that, Udemy is going to price them at whatever level they choose. So, IMO, the price you set doesn't mean much. 

I have created 30 or so courses on Udemy and most of them are under 5 hours. If I think they can go over that I will split them into two courses, a Part 1 and Part 2. This has worked extremely well for me. I have two courses now, Kusto Query Language Part 1 and Part 2. At least 90% of the time when a student buys one, they will buy the other at the same time. You can't beat that. Both are about 5 hours in length.

Thanks @RandyMinder 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors