Time making online courses on Udemy counts as years of experience?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time making online courses on Udemy counts as years of experience?

Hello,

I was wondering if the full-time I am currently spending for making my high quality courses on Udemy counts as years of real work experience or maybe can not be considered as experience. I need to know this in order to be able to apply in the future to jobs that require 1 or 2 years of experience in the web development sector.

Regards,

Néstor Llamas Llopis

2 Replies

I don't think so.

That time would only count as experience if you were applying to a content/media production position.

Unlike degrees or certifications (either you have it or not) there is no black and white for working experience. If you think it´s relevant working experience and if you know how to sell it to employers, then it´s working experience. When you show in your courses how to create Websites from scratch as you would do for paying clients, it can be a better reference for your skills than a standard one-pager reference letter from former employers. 

It will definitely help if your courses do well in the marketplace. However, in the end, it depends on you how you sell it. I have seen instructors with some courses on Udemy for Business claiming that they teach and advise companies like [the list of Udemy for Business Clients]. That´s not completely incorrect or misleading if you can argue it. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!