Use of logo

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of logo

Go to solution

Hi All,

I'm ready to publish my 1st course but slightly concerned over logo usage in my content...

I've tried contacting these companies and included snapshots from the content them but had no response (no great surprise). I cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone about this.

I don't claim to be endorsed by any of them. The logos are shown so that students can see which software packages are used within the content... That's it.

Two of the Three company logos are competitors but I don't promote either. The methods being taught can be applied to both software packages.

Any advise would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

@MarcCooney049 ,

spoke to a friend who’s an IP/TM on this bc my initial drafts had logos everywhere - for the same reasons you’re doing - bc it’s a helpful for learning vs just text.

the short of it is you’re exposing yourself to IP/TM Infringement. They may 1st time send you an official cease and desist - aka remove logos - or they may not and go straight to litigation. My IP attorney advised DO NOT add logos. If u must - get Permission in writing - but again - not worth the risk.

i agree w you it’s BS and takes away from design enhancements for learning - but it is what it is. Hope this helps. Thoughts? 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hi @MarcCooney049,

That's a super valid question. I'm happy to provide some clarity around this matter.

You may use your own brand logo (John Smith, Inc) in your course.  Make sure your logo is legible, on brand, has adequate negative space, and is within the content safe area.  Do not add any frames, borders, strokes or letterboxing.

With regard to using someone else's brand (Apple, Microsoft, etc), consult your attorney and make sure all the content in your course complies with the Terms of Service (in particular Section 6 "Specific Obligations of Instructors) : 

NOTE: You will be responsible for all of Your Submitted Content, that You own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions, and have the authority to authorize Company, to reproduce, distribute, publicly perform (including by means of a digital audio transmission), publicly display, communicate to the public, promote, market and otherwise use and exploit any of Your Submitted Content on and through the Products in the manner contemplated by these this Instructor Agreement, and that no Submitted Content shall infringe or misappropriate any intellectual property right of a third party.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to our Trust and Safety team via policy@udemy.com and they will be happy to help! 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

Go to solution

@MarcCooney049 ,

spoke to a friend who’s an IP/TM on this bc my initial drafts had logos everywhere - for the same reasons you’re doing - bc it’s a helpful for learning vs just text.

the short of it is you’re exposing yourself to IP/TM Infringement. They may 1st time send you an official cease and desist - aka remove logos - or they may not and go straight to litigation. My IP attorney advised DO NOT add logos. If u must - get Permission in writing - but again - not worth the risk.

i agree w you it’s BS and takes away from design enhancements for learning - but it is what it is. Hope this helps. Thoughts? 

Go to solution

@loanboy043 Thanks. This is a straight answer. Much appreciated. Busy redoing everything now without their logos. I'll doodle a few things in "Paint" to liven it up a bit I guess...🙄.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

I'm so sorry to hear you're having to redo all your content because of this, @MarcCooney049, but I am confident this will be a better and safer option.

In the future, if you have any doubts on whether you should use content that might have copyright, I recommend taking a look at the advice we provide in this help doc

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with! 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

Go to solution

Thank @Bella,

I appreciate the feedback. I've spent about 2 days reading copyrights, trademarks, legal notices, been sending emails, calling to contact someone at these companies (all I get is chatbot) and nobody comes back at these companies. I see others have asked this question.... seems like nobody knows.

I'm in the process of re-doing all my content without logos... Its a ton of work but its less effort than this logo debacle. I give up.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!