Using Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Sources

Hi there! I am new to this and obviously want to do it the right way. 

I am creating a course that teaches students reading skills. However, I want to use graded readings from textbooks to teach them how to use these skills. Is it okay to do this? As long as I cite them? 

In the Education World materials there are permissions in copyright that allow one to copy materials for educational purposes only. However, this feels like both a monetary and educational purpose. 

I need these resources, I'm not about to write 50 articles on my own (of which I'd probably have to cite info I found anyway)

1 Reply

@CiskeUys wrote:

In the Education World materials there are permissions in copyright that allow one to copy materials for educational purposes only. 

Yes, that's called fair use.

@CiskeUys wrote:

However, this feels like both a monetary and educational purpose. 

When it's monetary it's not fair use anymore. I'm not a legal expert myself and don't know if https://www.lib.purdue.edu/uco/CopyrightBasics/index.html is up to date, but it's a free resource which provides additional info.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!