Using student project as teaching tool

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using student project as teaching tool

Anyone teaching their course by proposing a student project as the backbone of the course? I am reluctant to rethink my course and lose all the effort I've expended so far. But I wonder ...

My working title is "How To Create a Remembrance Video" envisioning a market of Family Historians, those wishing to commemorate a loved one or pet, scrap-bookers, hospice participants and others I haven't yet idenfied. (Hint: Plea for keywords [grin]).

My thought is to create a prototype imaginary person to be celebrated with a few  pictures and maybe a short video clip that the student can download, then work the student through concepts building the Remembrance Video step by step using that imaginary scenario.

Has anyone worked through such an approach? Thoughts?

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

This is a great idea.

My first course that I made project based was my GIMP Beginner to Advanced course.  What I did was include an article outlining a project to be completed for each section in my course.  Students respond by submitting their "section projects" to the Q&A section of the course for peer and instructor review and comment.  The idea has been very well received and I now use it for all my Udemy courses.

Since originally using Q&A to submit section projects, Udemy added the Assignments tab.  I know of no one using this feature and don't know how it works myself.

So, I'd recommend adding a short project per section working your student toward a finished piece of work (this has worked great for my Clip Studio Paint digital drawing and painting course as well).

Also note that Q&A works great for textual and image assignments but you need to instruct students on how to upload to YouTube and submit URL links if you want to do video (haven't had Udemy frown on this yet but suspect the frown is coming).

---Brian

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors