What could your next course be?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could your next course be?

In this forum (and on other eLearning focussed forums), I often read questions from new aspiring instructors asking what topic they should create their first online training around.

If these words are currently occupying your head space, “I’m not sure what I should teach.” .... then please, just don’t. Wait until you understand where your competency lies.

Udemy, as an eLearning marketplace has a mixed reputation. Granted, 130,000 online training courses is an impressive figure, and there is certainly much money to be made in eLearning - but primarily for those who teach from a place of integrity, and create valuable eLearning products that reflect their wisdom, experience, knowledge and authentic personality.

I can humbly confess that I was one of the fortunate ones, who identified that learning was going online many years ago - before studying online became a trending ‘thing’.

In the last decade, I have partnered with Udemy, and witnessed the company grow, change and improve - in many great ways (with a few minor bumps along the way). In this time I have also identified patterns and trends - in terms of which instructors do well, and which ones don’t do so well.

Yes, there are Udemy top earners, and yes it requires many years of hard work, commitment, consistency, integrity and creativity ingenuity to get there, but it is only possible for those who who play the long game and who teach from a place of personal excellence, experience, wisdom and integrity (as mentioned).

I cannot impress the importance of teaching integrity enough. Yes, there is false news in the world today - and much of it. There is also such a thing as false teaching - which is the alternative to wisdom (experience-based) teaching.

It’s great to have goals and aspirations to build a brand, make a name, develop a reputation and make money online selling eLearning products .... but as with all things, there is no superfast elevator that offers a two-minute ride to the penthouse apparent of online teaching success. Taking the stairs is the only option for all those who hope to reach the top.

If you genuinely want to know what your first (or next) online training could be .... never mind looking into what’s currently hot or trending - rather, ask yourself the question;

”Is my existing skill set something that other people might benefit from?”

Your response to this question should make it very easy to decide upon what your next eLearning product should (or shouldn’t) be.

Do yourself and your future reputation a favour, just teach what you know 😉👍

Peace. Out.

Kain Ramsay
1 Reply

Thanks for sharing this with the community @Kain_Ramsay !

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors