paypal for a person who does not have a personal business

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paypal for a person who does not have a personal business

Go to solution

Hi

I am new to create a course with Udemy. I was trying to create a paypal account but I have some questions to proceed as right now it seems I'm blocked with that!

Would any of you could help me on that from what you experienced when openeing an account with paypal?

first of all, I do not know should I create a pay pal account for the US or Canada? I live in Canada. 

If I click the paypal link directly at the Udemy instrcution page, it takes me to a page to create paypal account. Howeve, there are only american and NOT Canadian postal codes out there. As a result, I cannot proceed with that.

and secondly, when I try to create an account myself online, it asks more do you want to create a paypal for people or business to receive money which is my case since this is how we get paied by Udemy. However, it asks me a business number. In fact, I don't have a business myself and though I don't have a business number.

I was wondering how did you create your account to get paied by Udemy? Did you have to create a business for that?

I appreciate any comments or hints related to this!

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hi @bestlearn 
So you don't necessarily have a business to get paid by Udemy, you can apply paypal account as personal and can get paid .also, you can create account by manually going to Paypal site. 

Regards and All the best 

KS

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Go to solution

Hi @bestlearn 
So you don't necessarily have a business to get paid by Udemy, you can apply paypal account as personal and can get paid .also, you can create account by manually going to Paypal site. 

Regards and All the best 

KS

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for your helpful reply and sharing your experience. 

All the best,

LM

Go to solution

Have u tried Payoneer ?

@bestlearn 

KS

Go to solution

I wouldn't be recommending that @Karansetia!

Go to solution

😂😂 Ok @DYay2810 

KS

Go to solution

Why?

Go to solution

Hi @Karansetia ,

I think now it has become mandatory to upgrade to paypal business account as I got intimated from the udemy support team that they were unable to credit my 1st payment and they have received an error message from Paypal as: "RISK_DECLINE: This transaction was declined due to risk concerns."

Since I am also a new instructor, I have a quick question :

After upgrading to business account on paypal , for transferring the credited amount to my bank account from paypal, do paypal charges for the transaction ?

Or upgrading to business account and transferring money would be completely free??

Go to solution

Hi

That's my question too. Also, when I checked online it seemed you should have a company to create a business account with paypal but not sure if it is an obligatory condition to create a business account or not? 

Is there anyone who has created a business account without having to have a registered company and was it for free or not?

Thanks

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

You definitely do not need to have a company to be paid by PayPal. Most Udemy instructors are simply individuals and they get paid through PayPal. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Thanks. Do you know how long it takes to receive a payment through the paypal payment in a bank account?

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

I can only speak from the U.S. experience. When the payout appears in my PayPal account, around the 7th of the month, I transfer the money to my BankAmerica account and that transfer is immediate, within seconds. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Hi ,

I'm writing from India about my experience regarding the concern, I have upgraded to Paypal business account as it seems that it has been made mandatory recently to receive payments from other countries. However, Upgrading to business account on Paypal is completely free...

Once the udemy payment gets credited on Paypal, it takes 3 working days to get transferred to bank account.

Hope this shall be clear 🙂

Go to solution

Is there anything different for business account for taxation purpose ?

Go to solution

@Ranjithvasudev I am creating a paypal account now. What purpose code shall I fill ? Does it make any difference ? I had another paypal account (created 4 yrs back) but I am seeing a different dashboard this time with lot of options. 

Also, Is GST a mandatory thing to provide in Business account or its optional. Is there any limit in Paypal after which they ask for GST number ?

Thanks in advance.

Go to solution

Hi @Onnet ,

For Purpose code you shall use any option as tutor/blogger or something . I am not able to recall the exact option that I had selected while creating the account. And GST is not mandatory to create business account on paypal.

So, no worries. Good luck !

Go to solution

Hi Larry
Therefore can I receive money from Udemy  with a personal Paypal account (not a business account)

Thanks

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Yes. At least from the perspective of a U.S.  based instructor. Maybe other countries tax laws dictate a business account but I don't know why they would. It is personal income. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

ITS ONE OF THE SAFEST SECURE FORM OF TRACK AND PAY SYSTEM!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors