Student Leave bad review after only conduct 30% of the course

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Leave bad review after only conduct 30% of the course

Udemy can you step up your action to protect instructor who receive bad review where student have not even completed the 100%,  They complete about 30% and they leave bad review an concluding that the course is bad.  Udemy  is a very competitive market place now and we as an instructor have to give our best with unique content to serve our customer.  Can Udemy stop student who completed less than 50% of the course to give bad review and make damages to our rating.

3 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Evelyn7E I know it’s really frustrating to see a review from someone who hasn’t watched the whole course and leaving a bad review;however, you can take control of the narrative! Respond to the review and address the points that the student mentioned, so that future students see that you’re active and have the right expectations going into your course. Regarding taking action about stoping students who hasn't completed less than 50% from leaving a review, we have share the feedback with the product team, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

When it comes to bad reviews, everyone gets them occasionally. However, these reviews normally do not say why they have submitted this review. I have tried communicating with them. I have yet to receive a reply. One answer I received from Udemy, is that after covering the bare minimum of a course, the student is in a position to evaluate that course. I disagree. They can do this in the previews before purchase. Think of classroom training. I have given hundreds of courses live in many parts of the World. When are these classes reviewed? At the end of the training without exception. If reviews are submitted early in the course, there is no way that a realistic review can be given. 

One suggestion that may help. If someone wants to post a review of 2 or less, they must give a reason for this rating. When no reasons are given, how is the poor instructor supposed to fix any problems there might be?  We are not clairvoyant. I do agree that a minimum of 50% of the course must be completed, preferably 100%, but I am compromising.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

@Evelyn7E You should know that this subject has been discussed many dozens of times in this forum. It will never be the case the a student must complete the course before giving a rating and that is because a small minority of students ever complete any course. If only those who watched 100% could give a rating it would be the same as demanding that only those who think it is a great course can give a rating. 

I see that you know quality management. If a manufacturer receives a shipment of 1000 parts from a supplier and finds that of the first ten used, half of them are off spec, how many must be sampled before contacting the supplier and informing them of the defective shipment? What would you say if the supplier said "You shouldn't give feedback until you have used all 1000 parts?"

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.