Have you ever expanded into new subjects outside of your comfort zone?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Teaching is not just about imparting knowledge, but also about the continuous pursuit of learning. Instructors often find themselves pushing boundaries and stepping outside their comfort zones to explore new subjects and areas of expertise.

Now, let's hear from you. Whether you've ventured into new subjects, explored different areas of teaching, or even crossed disciplinary boundaries, we're curious:

Share your stories, challenges, and triumphs. Let's celebrate the spirit of growth and exploration in teaching!

3 Replies

Great question! I retired from decades of being a mental health therapist earning my Leadership & Management Certificate from Wharton Executive Ed. This helped me launch my coaching & training business. 

Huge step midlife. 

MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Alexia

Thank you for sharing 😊. Yes, I can see how this was a significant step that required a leap of faith.

I also remember that you considered creating a course in a new subject (web3). I hope your app project is going well 🙌

We've created around 23 courses now. When I started it was easy in a way for me to speak and teach on the topics I knew well... and sometimes we could complete a new course in a few weeks but now the courses are nearly always venturing into new territories. And take a lot longer to develop, maybe 6 months minimum. We have a lot more learning, development and integration now before we have the 'authenticity' to offer new courses. I certainly do end up really stretching myself learning about so many things.. and experimenting into new areas. Sometimes it can be fragmenting so I take a break from developing courses for a while. You can only really be an expert of a few things (at least at any one time). 🙏 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.