Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robin_Slee
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

How many students do you have?

Go to solution

Hello fellow Instructors. For inspiration, I thought it might be fun to share student numbers. Plus any tips you might have on growing your student base?

15000 push Capture.PNG

Personally, I have been working very hard since christmas to hit my goal of 15,000 by end of april 2019. I have been active in many facebook groups, not advertising, but helping, offering advice and positioning myself as knowledgable in my niche. I have seen a lot of growth since I started this push (approx 300!). Many have come from organic growth, but quite a few have followed my social profiles back to udemy and ended up buying one or more courses.

What have you been doing to promote yourself and your courses? Share below.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

503E1620-FE4C-4116-BBF5-05590B4C7762.png

I agree with Jason in that your best marketing is a good product. I get a lot of word of mouth enrollments. Some things I've noticed that help:

1. Building courses that are adjacent to each other in topic. It's much easier to build user affinity if you have several courses that all meet their needs (if they like your first course, then they would also like x.y,z courses you offer) 

2. Making sure whenever you pick a topic, you know you can win the category. There's no point really in making the second best course on x topic

It's also worth thinking about what is unique about your teaching style. Is there something you do differently than other instructors? Thinking outside of the box can make the experience more memorable and share-worthy

View solution in original post

78 Replies

Go to solution

Congrats on reaching 500K students! That's so many people you're teaching!

While the email says the next student milestone is 1M, you can set your own goals. Maybe that's 750K, maybe that's 1.2M. Totally up to you!

Go to solution

@JocelynH thanks 

I agree best way to move along and grow is one step at a step, setting attainable goals.   The 1 Million Students is likely 3-4 years away for me so small goals are the way to keep motivated and getting the sense of accomplishment.

Digital Course Creator - Happy to connect with other instructors

Go to solution

Wooow incredible 447,602!!

For now I am only 8, but I appreciate it.

Go to solution

Thanks, the power of Udemy is incredible allowing us to reach so many students 🙂

Go to solution

Nice numbers dear colleagues.

I wish I could have also posted this big numbers, but I am on 54 at this moment Smiley Very Happy

In case you have any suggestions/advices as super experienced instructors, will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gubaz

Go to solution

I've been on Udemy for over 3.5 years - eveyrone starts at the same place.

Keep going set your goals and you will achieve them.

Go to solution

Hi Gubaz,

Don't feel bad. I have 524 and out of those only about 6 have paid. 

Good luck and hang in there.

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

54 Is a respectable number. That is more than a large classroom, packed full of people eager to learn form YOU! Keep pushing. Get the word out that you have knowledge to share, make forum posts, start a blog, create a youtube channel, post to twitter, even talk to your local learning centres. It all helps to get eyes on your courses. BUT, above all else.... have fun. Enjoy the journey and know that you are changing the lives of many people with your content. Well done 😉

Go to solution

I published my first course about a week ago and am now creating two more. My courses are in humanities, so I don't expect large enrollments. But I agree with you that knowing that I can serve more people with my knowledge and experience is good in itself. I have 57 students so far. 

KylePew
Community Champion

Go to solution

UdemyStudentCount-01.PNG

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

These numbers just totally blow my mind. Totally makes spending hours in my video editor worth it!! Great job Kyle and thank you for sharing 😉

Go to solution

Capture.PNG

Joseph Phillips, PMP, PMI-ACP, ITIL, PSM, Project+, CTT+

Author of:

The PMP Study Guide
The PMP Lab Manual
The CAPM/PMP All-in-One Book
Project Management for Small Business
Certified Technical Trainer+ All-in-One Book
Vampire Management: Why Your Job Sucks
The Lifelong Project
IT Project Management: On Track from Start to Finish
Software Project Management for Dummies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I'm on the brink of 90,000.  But the more important metric is number of reviews and course star rating.  Thousands of students can be had overnight through BestBlackHatForum but reviews have to be worked for and earned.  I find that providing quality product and quick response to support questions are key to maintaining my star rating.

I have one important and easy "trick" for getting good student reviews.  I'm wondering whether I should post it to this forum?

---Brian

JasonDion
Community Champion

Go to solution
I’m curious as to your “trick”. Jason
Jason Dion
Lead Instructor @ Dion Training Solutions

Go to solution

Yes please share if you can

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Jason,

In a nutshell:

1) Sort your students by percent completed.

2) Send Udemy messages asking for a review to those who have completed 100% of your course and haven't left a review.

Don't ask for a 5 star rating, just a review.  Students who have completed your course are more likely to leave 5 star reviews anyway.

Say something like...

Hi {name},

I see you completed my "" course.  Congratulations!

Could I get you to do me a favor and leave a review?

(Instructions on how to leave a review)

---Brian

I get a lot of good reviews I would have normally missed this way.  Of course, I miss a lot because many Udemy students don't know how to receive Udemy messages ;-).

Hope this helps,

---Brian

JasonDion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Good idea!

Jason Dion
Lead Instructor @ Dion Training Solutions

Go to solution

You have to be very careful when asking for reviews, I was told before by Udemy , "instructor can't explicitly or implicitly request reviews of a certain type. Also, some students can report this and it can negatively impact your course, which we are trying to avoid. "

KarolyNyisztor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Actually, you could include this request in the "Congratulations Message", that's sent only to students who complete your course.
No need to filter and message each student one by one.

Karoly Nyisztor - Software Engineer, Author, Entrepreneur, and Life Hacker
Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

Thats a good idea. Sort of like a friendly reminder. "Hey thanks for completing my course and getting your certificate! If you enjoyed the course, dont forget to leave a review..." or sum'ting. 😉

Go to solution

I don't believe you can say "If you enjoyed the course" thats what was told to me anyway

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors