Looking to improve your course? Get and give feedback here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to improve your course? Get and give feedback here!

Whether this is your first or fifth course, it’s always helpful to hear from other instructors on how you can improve your course content to be even better.

Before you share your course content for feedback, check out our self-promotion policy and read these quick guidelines:

1. Be specific. Share what you’re looking to improve or things you’re concerned about so your fellow instructors can provide targeted feedback.
  2. Upload content directly. Whenever you can, directly upload a video or course outline to our platform so it’s easier for other instructors to check it out.
  3. Don’t share course links or instructor coupons. This is a space to share and receive feedback, not sell to other instructors. If you want to reference a course, share the full name of your course without linking it. Instructors can find the course by clicking on your community profile and going to your instructor account on Udemy.
  4. Pay it forward. If you’re asking for feedback, look over someone else’s course and give them some feedback too! Always try to give more than you ask for.

We hope this feedback thread can help you create even better courses!

Note: This is our first edition of what will be a monthly post specifically dedicated to gathering feedback on your courses. Let us know what you think in the comments!

17 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Following this. Looking forward to see what other instructors are creating. I used to belong to a photography group where you would post your photos and people would give you feedback. I learned so much by not only posting my work but also by looking at someone's work and asking myself why I like or did not like it. This thread should serve a similar purpose. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Hi Dear Friends,

I have recently put up my first course on Udemy which is a free one at the following URL:

https://www.udemy.com/learn-pointer-concepts-in-cplusplus-using-visual-studio-2017/

I have received 2000+ enrollments in less than two months have been able to get 2.2-star ratings on 3 feedbacks so far. I wish to make a career as an online educator in software development which has been my background for the last 10+ years with a lot of classroom teaching experience teaching in tertiary institutes and universities. 

Can some of my experienced peers please review the course and give me their valuable inputs as to how to plug the gaps in similar courses that could earn me a 4 star(or higher) rating for all my future courses?

Thanks very much in advance.

Cheers,

Kaushik Roy Chowdhury

Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

You only have 1 video as free preview, so only able to look at that, and that is just a lecture on how to install software, so not really in depth. 

The one review you have with a comment is maybe a good place to start? 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Hi Thor,

Thanks for your reply which I appreciate. I am not sure as to the origin of the free preview, but the entire course is free and as such anything can be previewed.

Since the installation of the software was the starting point of the entire course (as I wish to introduce Visual Studio 2017, for a reason of course, specifically for the course which is mentioned in the course title  and there are dozens of other compiler's around) on which further course was designed, I think it just adds value to the course.

Any serious learner is also expected to view the other introductory (talking heads) section to find the details of the course before putting his ratings/comments.

All said and done, I will take the review with comments into account for further course designs.

Thanks

Kaushik

Kaushik: I have a similar background. I have taught for 9 years at the MBA Level. Here is what I learned. At the University courses, students will watch your video because they are obligated to, so you will get a lot of views on sometimes seemingly boring videos by Udemy standards. At Udemy students will watch if they find the content interesting or will drop if it gets boring. It is a higher bar. In May my course will be up for one year. It has undergone and still undergoing transformations. Keep at it.

Hi Raj,

Thanks for getting back on this. I think at least in part you are right that everyone will definitely go for more engaging and interesting contents. But to start with, that's not what my original question was, wherein  I simply requested some of the more experienced and reputed tutors in the same field of expertise to please help evaluate my course and give me detailed and constructive feedback since it still is being offered free of cost. 

Just skimming through one or two videos don't necessarily provide an accurate overview of the quality of the overall course and is unfair to the tutor, to say the least.

Hi Kaushik. The rules state that we are not allowed to share a link to our courses, so it's best if you remove your link and just ask for the advice/reflections, because people are able to find your materials by clicking on your profile details. 

Best of luck!

To whom it may concern.

I am a retired electronic technician that worked in Silicon Valley. One of the companies I worked for made an emulator box that was full of Fpga's. I used a test program to troubleshoot the emulators, but I never got to program them in Vhdl code. A couple of months ago I bought an Udemy course that used a $30.00 Fpga trainer board, to program an Fpga. Even though the course was made for beginners, it was confusing, but I was able to figure it out in a few days and programmed a few circuits. I thought to myself, I could make a beginner course that is more understandable. That is what I tried to do in my first video lesson. The process of making a video is new for me and I am still learning how to do it.

Even though I have a lot more video work to do, I would like to tell you why I think my course is better. The course that I took is mostly about making Arduino projects work, using Fpga code. Fpga's are not about copying computer code, it is about programming hardware circuits. The first thing that a beginner needs to know before writing hardware code is how the circuit works. That part was left out of the course that I took. I figure if you have to teach hardware before you program it, you might as well teach something important. The circuits I choose are the circuits that are used in a basic computer system. Starting with the simplest  - and gate, or gate, binary counter, binary to decimal decoder, program counter, register, rom, ram, 8x8 display using shift registers, 8x8 display using a ram, 7  segment 0 to f hex display, 4 bit ALU, D flip-flop, 4 bit multiplexer, and a computer timing and control circuit. All of those circuits can be tested using  

press switches, dipswitches, and Leds on the Fpga development board. Designing test benches is too hard for beginners. At the end of my Udemy course the students will not only know something about Vhdl code, they will know something about hardware computer circuits.

James Buchanan    jfbuchanan78@yahoo.com

Please let me know if I should continue making this course. Here is the url for the video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=120MCF0ZRbdy7cBQ2H1eOjRCN8NXf7EXL

Hi @JamesBuchan286, just moved your post to our feedback thread so it's easier for folks to find and share their thoughts.

Also, can you edit your post to remove your email address? Thanks!

James, I realize the importance of a script but you should not simply read it during your videos. I suggest you go over it several times to get comfortable with the wording then try to narrate from memory using your natural voice intonations and accentuation. Maybe outline or bullet list key points then refer to that while talking. A teleprompter app help also. you can pause it or slow it up as needed.

I sure could use feedback. I have been on Udemy for 1.5 years, have learned a lot and am ready to learn more. My hope is to turn views into more purchases. My course "Management Skills: Problem Solving, Decision Making and More" is a good example of my current efforts. Any thoughts on the landing page and preview videos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Robert Brown, Ph.D.
Unique insights for personal & business success

Dear Udemy instructors, 

After long procrastination I finally finished submitting my course and it's public since yesterday! This is my first ever online course. I am Baishali, a professional singer (originally from India) and I sing in more than 30 languages including Hebrew, Ladino, Spanish, Portuguese, Slovene etc.

I want to help people to learn singing in depth with step by step easy process. So, I created the first course 'Learn Singing 4 Indian songs step by step'. I share the promo video here. If anyone is interested to go through the course or help me out with getting some honest reviews, please visit my INSTRUCTOR PROFILE and you will see the course. 

• Send me a direct message anytime to get copon code to access it for FREE. 
  • Tell me what you think! Write a review when you can.
  • I’m also available for questions anytime. 

Thank you very much for your valuable time! 
Kind regards,

Baishali Sarkar

Background music, depending on context, can be a great addition. However, you never want too much volume variation. In your case, around 24-25 seconds, the instruments become more prominent, more loud, and your voice loses prominence. This is too bad. Tip: Choose a more monotonous song or one with less variation in ups and downs.   

For video, variation is actually a good thing, so it would be great if you would toss in some variation there, maybe of you teaching or maybe some stock footage. Try to avoid more than 10 seconds in the exact same setting. 

Good luck and hope the advice benefits you and others like you. 

Thank you so much. I will keep in mind these points. 
Do you have any suggestion for my section divisions, subjects and styles for teaching videos? I haven't used background music over there. 

Regards, 

Baishali

Hi dear Udemy instructor community,

I launched my first course almost one year ago and I have roughly 30 enrolments per month. I would be interested in getting a feedback for the course "A beginner guide to interior design" so that after implementing the changes suggested, it can boost sales.

Highly appreciate every comment on it.

Best,

Gianina

Hi Gimatek, 

I watched one minute of your first preview video called 'beginner guide to interior design.' One tip I would give you is to not have these long sequences in which nothing happens on the screen and the same thing is being shown. I can tell you that this is not optimal for student engagement. Preferably, we go no longer than 10 seconds with the same image. If you want to show the same image longer than 10 seconds, then add some movement (draw on the screen, or highlight a part of it, or make sure that you as a person are at least visible in a corner so that something is moving. 

Best,

Maz

Good one, help me to grow here too 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors