Milestone first 1 star review

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestone first 1 star review

Got my first 1 star review after 15 months and 8 courses on Udemy. No comment just the 1 star. Strange thing is student completed 100 per cent of a 5 hour course in , I beleive , 1 day. 

You think they might have decided after 15 minutes that they never liked the course ? 

My usual experience is that students who

complete 100 per cent of a course usually do so as they are enjoying it and leave good reviews ?

Don't really understand this ?

9 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RossMcGowan There are a number of factors a student can review in the first couple of minutes, such as the course’s audio & video quality and an instructor’s teaching style. To make this first impression great, we recommend providing a lot of value in the first 10-30 minutes of your course to hook your students and make them want to continue your course (and leave a good early review).

We also found that asking for reviews early on is really helpful for new courses because students are more likely to take a course with “social proof”. If we didn’t ask for reviews early on, it may take days, or even months, for someone to finish your course and leave a review. 

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community 

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community 

Thank you Eliana

A lot of times it happened that students unintentionally give 1 star and when asked then they realize and change the ratings. Happened with me a couple of times. 

But only 2 out of 10 responds to your messages and by that time the damage is done. 1-star rating eats all the good work of four 5 star rating and as only recent reviews are considered then the damage is deeper.

Why don't Udemy force the user to write a review if he/she is leaving 1 or 2 stars? 1 star means the user is completely dissatisfied with the course and the instructor has all the right to know what went wrong and if the user is aware of what rating he is leaving?

Regards

Himanshu

Hi Ross, I got four 1 star reviews in my also 15 month here, two of them last week. I wrote to all of them asking why. In two cases the students told me that it wasn't on purpose. One changed the rating to a 5 star.

So, I would recommend to ask because there's nothing to lose - they cannot go back and rate you minus 1 stars and complete 200% to make it count.

But I also believe that there is some foul play every now and then because some ratings just seem to be off. Could be a competitor, could be someone holding a grudge.

These are the two options. If it was a mistake the students might change it. In the latter case, bad luck, I guess. (The type of bad luck that keeps me awake at night grumbling and growling).

Good luck to you!

Hi Esther.

Thank you for the reply.

I asked the student to comment on the course to give me some more feedback but no response. 

It just seems odd that someone buys a course after looking at 5 or 6 free videos , knows what they are buying into , then does the entire 4 and a half hour course the same afternoon as purchasing then leaves a 1 star and get's a refund ?

You would have thought they could have worked out the course was not for then after 15 minutes (not 4 and half hours). 

Any way putting it behind me and moving on now.

Is it possible they didn't complete the course by their own choice? Could they have been told they had to do it - and so they ran through it quickly just to get the certificate to show their manager?

This is something I've encountered with Udemy for Business students.

Never thought of that.

Thanks.

That happened to me and it turned out the student was a teacher in the exact same subject. My course is Intro level so there was no reason for her to take it except a bad review or to copy videos. I feel like a real one star review for your course would have left a comment to help other students. 

I also got a 1 star review recently. Tried to communicate with the student and ask for feedback , and why he/she didnt like my course, so that i can improve my courses.
Students get notifications when instructor drop a message, so basically the student ignored not to answer me.
I think its FUN for many students, to complete the course 100%,  learn, and then give 1 star review and get full refund. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors