My Story to $30K Revenue: How I launch 4-Hour courses in a Week

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Story to $30K Revenue: How I launch 4-Hour courses in a Week

BEFORE YOU READ: DO NOT COPY OTHER COURSES.

- Rather, look at competitor / similar courses as inspiration and always think of a differentiator you want to build in your course. Copying and Pasting will not get you anywhere on Udemy. As Michael mentioned, genuinely building trust is the ONLY way.

- MY GOAL with this post is to show you how you can automate some of the "mechanical" work with AI, further exploring tools i used to go from 4 weeks to a week.

- I have no Intention to Disparage any instructor or their methods - please take any "learning" from this if you possibly can (as instructors)

- You cannot succeed until you really know what you're teaching (i've spent years in AI and Product Management) to being able to create courses faster. There is no short cut, but if this post can help you - i'd be glad.

I started creating courses in January, 2023. I had no experience prior to this creating online courses. Over the last 9 months, this has been a stable $2k / month for me and I want talk about my story and how I did it. Firstly, Revenue screenshot: — October revenue is still unaccounted for — but it’s going to be 3k based on enrolments and previous trends.

goyashy_0-1698824469215.png

My courses & Time taken

My first course — It was a disaster. Recorded with a laptop microphone, the 2 hour course was on a trending AI Topic, died in 2 months. Took me 3 weeks to build it.

My second course — Master Generative AI (Extension of previous course but taught everything in AI), took me 4 weeks to build, makes me the most amount of money, and has a lot of students

My Third course — Prompt Engineering — took me 2 weeks to build, a lot of students, but dying after 3 months

My Fourth course — AI & SEO (recently launched) — picking up slowly, took me 2 weeks to build

My Fifth and 6th courses are on AI Product Management & Digital Marketing and were built a week, primarily because i leveraged and learned a lot from my previous courses

My Profile on Udemy

Notice how i went from 3 weeks to 4 days for launching courses.

Firstly, i’m a hard believer of launching MVP and iterating over time. I don’t spend all my energy building perfect courses, I build a bare bone MVP and keep adding content.

How do you get to 1 course a week, provided you decide to do this full time?

A course has 6 stages of creation:

- Ideation — what you want to build, mostly go with your passion and the knowledge you have curve is shorter — 10%

- Research — What kind of courses exist, which ones are top rated and why — 20%

- Creation — Recording content and creating videos / assignments / notes / cover images / texts — 35%

- Editing Content — 30%

- Initial launch — 5%

(% indicates how long each step took me initially)

Break-down of each of these steps:

- Ideation — you figure out what kind of course you want to build, this one is relatively easy but super important. You need to choose a niche that is less competitive (AI SEO is one such niche) but has decent audience for making money. It could be a electric guitar, setting up a grocery shop, so on. As long as it’s not competitive, do it

- Research — Once you figure what you want to build, start looking at a couple of places for inspiration and understand whether the market exists for this type of content. This could be just looking at the course marketplace to see other courses exist, Reddit posts, blogs, Groups and so on, as long as there are people looking for it, you bet you can make money

- Creation — this is what takes a lot of my time. I’m going to show you how i significantly reduced my time in here.

• Curriculum — research other courses / starting from scratch is not ideal because other courses already have invested time to refine the curriculum so makes sense to use that as a starting point
  • How to automate: Use the best rated course and use ChatGPT to generate a similar course structure, add notes on additional lectures example — i teach about “BLUE” electric guitars, it takes almost no time to get to starting point
  • Script + Slides creation — Once you have curriculum, putting together script can be a nightmare, but this is essential. instead of building an entire script, put down bullet notes.
  • Use ChatGPT to take each chapter and then create bullet notes to talk about — copy these notes in a doc to refer later
  • Leverage these bullets to create slides on Canva — takes 1 min per slide — so 40 minutes overall for a 40 Page PPT
  • Cover Image / Description — All of this optimized content can created using ChatGPT — invest very little time here, but ensure you have keywords optimised in the course
  • Course recording — This it the major heavy-lifting but you will have to do this. I use OBS to record content, it’s free and open source and gets the job done, initial learning curve is 15 minutes

THIS is by far my most time taking part, initially, it was the editing but i automated it, let me show you how.

- Editing — I’m proud to have automated this bit. But let me talk about the initial struggle first:

• Basic Edits: Initially I used Primere Pro to edit my videos. This step took a lot of time, even more than creating that video, because in order to make course video optimised, I would trim silent parts, which would be a night mare.

• Now I’m leveraging AI tools like Snapy to auto edit using their video silence remover feature. It’s a boon.

• It may come as a surprise but I spend no time editing my video. It’s all ready within a few minutes. The only effort is uploading it.

- Initial Launch — Takes me literally an 30 mins to launch my course. I publish it on Marketplaces like Udemy, they take care of all the marketing, while I keep creating courses. Most of the revenue is market place based, you get 100% of the revenue coming from your own marketing links. They take a cut for their marketing based revenue.

I don’t know who will benefit from this. But I hope I can help someone who is looking to productise their knowledge. All the best!

38 Replies

Congratulations @goyashy  Keep it up.

thank you!

Impressive 

thanks for knowledge sharing

Hope it helps!

MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @goyashy

Thank you so much for taking the time and for sharing your story of success.

We LOVE hearing those! 

It's absolutely amazing that you achieved such a stable income in such a short period!

Well done!👏

Just let me reconfirm here: Do you have a big social media audience or a specific marketing strategy in place, or do you rely completely on Udemy marketing?😊

Keep on rocking!🙌

I've relied on Udemy Marketing - but I also have a YouTube channel that drives some enrolments. But Udemy has been super helpful.

This is the beginning of the end for Udemy.

Very sad to read.

Hey Michael, i'd love to hear more. 

The beginning of the end happened when the new business model came in - at least for many instructors.

@goyashy, congrats on your success. This shows how teaching a new and emerging topic, such as AI, can lead to success on Udemy. But I think it also shows how disruptive AI can be to the teaching space, both in a positive and negative manner.

I think AI is great as a means to supplement the course creation process, but relying on it to do all the heavy lifting can lead to an abundance of courses where instructors aren't really experts in what they're teaching and just voice acting over AI-created content.

I also question the ethics of using AI to copycat the structure of best-selling courses on Udemy.

"Use the best rated course and use ChatGPT to generate a similar course structure, add notes on additional lectures example."

The other issue is fully trusting what responses an AI chatbox provides. I've seen where it's clearly incorrect, especially in technical topics. So, it's important to have the expertise and take the time to vet ChatGPT responses.

All-in-all, I think AI is a powerful teaching assistant, but I caution newer instructors from fully relying on it to create their courses.

I agree - i don't "completely" rely on ChatGPT. but It does help you automate some "mechanical" work that previously wasn't needed. As for referring other best selling courses, i look at it as re-inventing the wheel. End of the day, a lot of my courses got copied too - that's true in any business. Goal is to bring in more than what other courses are bringing to the market. You can continue to offer an awesome post-course purchase experience via announcements + Q&A. Which will still continue to be a "differentiator"

My biggest asset on Udemy is the trust I've built with my students over the years.

Now, when I publish a new course:
I don't need to give free coupons.

I don't need to pay for ads.

I don't need to beg my friends or grandma to leave me a review.

I don't need to read through community posts on "how to market my course."

All I do is send one promotional email to my students, and I'm guaranteed enrollments, engagement, and reviews.

Why?

Because they trust me that I don't feed the curriculum of an existing course into ChatGPT and charge them money for reading the script that ChatGPT wrote for me.

Hey Michael, I agree with your view and this is the least bit applicable to me since when I first launched AI course on Udemy, none of the courses existed, so I was on my own. A lot of the courses that came after - I was copied rather. But I continue to get enrolments because I'm maintaining it till this day. I would never recommend anyone to "copy" a course. Rather, think of it as research and not re-inventing the wheel. Without differentiator, your courses will not sell, no matter what you do.

I reckon "trust" is the biggest factor even today and I fully support your view on this.

Hi,

I have some concern about this question as I am looking to be in french an english for my courses.

I was thinking that as a french, if I create an english course, I may be an english spoken voice... not french voice with english subtitle.

Please, what do you thing about this?

I am surprised

Hey @MichaelPog I have an unrelated question for you...

I see that you created some courses in different languages on the same profile... I was thinking about translating my courses into Russian and Turkish maybe in the future, do you think it's a better idea to create another instructor profile for other languages or not? And also is it okay with Udemy to have someone else's voice over the same course?

Hi @ArminSarajlic I don't have any advice for you, unfortunately.

My translated courses are a partnership with other companies that contacted me.

It's their profiles.
I don't think there's a problem with using someone else's voice as long as it's not AI, but I would double-check with trust and policy.

Hey micheal, do add help? How did u generate ads ?

Congratulations🎉🎂 @goyashy for 30K in revenue it's a really big deal in less than a year!

Thanks for sharing wonderful insights, I'll try to implement all of the above steps in my next courses.

Best of Luck for your upcoming courses!

Completely agree with @MichaelPog on this. 

Where's the value for the students in creating a course in this way?

I'm seeing no substantial  teaching and learning from an expert, but rather using AI to copy a bestseller, (that's a bestseller for a reason) , and using that AI to hide the fact that the course is copied. Nothing is mentioned about ChatGPTs horrible hallucinations that's only getting worse by the day, and what effect this will have on your course content. (Pro tip: its not good) Its actually reached the point that creators cannot use ChatGPT for the simplest of tasks, but you will only know that the output is garbage if you know your subject.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.