Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Me Too'd this topic

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Analysis of Enrollment Data - Five Year Perspective

This might be helpful, particularly for newer instructors. If you've been around a while you know that I plot my enrollment data by course and by month as reflected in this graph. It allows me to see month over month, year over year, and unusual data events. Keep in mind that this is not revenue, but enrollments, although there is a very high correlation. This also includes both marketplace and UFB enrollments. 

Please note that I am NOT one of the most successful instructors on Udemy. I am a "moderately" successful instructor, which means I am now averaging around 20k per month. My "success" is only success over my own previous results. I suggest that this is a healthy way to measure your own success. I don't want to compare my results to folks like Phil Ebiner, Frank Kane, Scott Duffy, or others because that just makes me feel crappy. I think my data is probably representative of other instructors who are both in the marketplace promotions and in UFB. Please understand that I do very little marketing myself and rely on Udemy's marketing. 

Capture-yoy erollments.jpg

Here are some results that may be interesting:

1. This March just completed was up 30% compared to March last year. Note that the best months are always Nov-Jan and the worst months are most often Feb-Apr. 
  2. I think taking the average of a few months for comparison is always more reliable than any single month. So, I looked at the three best months (typically) of Nov-Jan for 2019-2022. I have the average for these indicated as "Peak Month Ave." This past period was up 19% yoy in revenue and you can see the growth in enrollments. Notably, the marketplace revenue for me was down 4% while the UB revenue was up 45%. 
  3. If you look at Jan 2020 you can see why I find this graph helpful. You will notice that one course, in dark purple, had a very large number of enrollments relative to a normal month. This is from one UB client who decided to assign it to their managers. You can also see that beginning in June 2021 I had a large increase in another course (in light blue) and that was the result of a similar assignment to a UB client. That has now ended, unfortunately. 
  4. You can clearly see the Covid19 effect in 2020. The good news is that if you draw a trend line from four or five years ago you can see a relatively stable growth pattern discounting that. 

So, I offer this for what its worth. There is still reason to be optimistic about Udemy's growth and marketing. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
Who Me Too'd this topic