Are screenshots from videos blocked?

A user in one of our courses asks:

>

> Why its not allowing to take the screenshot of the course?

> Why its not allowing to take the screenshot of the course, for my reference I took screenshot of architecture diagram but it is coming blank(black screen)

This does appear to be true: you can't make a screenshot from a video, either when the video is running, or when it's stopped. Is this a Udemy thing (that can be configured on or off) or is it just a limitation on the video engine Udemy uses?

Comments

• ElianaC
    ElianaC Posts: 5,404 Udemy rank

Hi @Rob-KodeKloud
    Due to anti-piracy initiatives that are in place for certain Udemy courses, screenshot functionality is not supported. These security measures leverage a variety of changes on how course videos stream, including video encryption and time-bound licensing to protect courses from being illegally consumed. Instead of attempting to take screenshots of the course with these security measures applied, we advise students use the notes feature to help review important sections more easily in the future.

If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to our Instructor Support team.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator

• Good to know this feature is in place. Thanks!

• AITCD
    AITCD Posts: 117 trailblazer rank

Hello @ElianaC
    Thank you for providing this information in reply to @Rob-KodeKloud
    regarding the anti-piracy initiatives and the limitations on screenshot functionality for certain Udemy courses.

It's good to know that Udemy is taking measures to protect the content and ensure the integrity of the learning experience.

The suggestion to use the notes Feature for reviewing important sections is a great alternative, and I appreciate your guidance on this matter.

Best regards,
    Team AITCD

• This is ridiculous. I'm paying for the content and can easily screenshot it on a computer or in the mobile web browser. Remove this ridiculous limitation from your mobile app or I won't use it. Consider your customer's experience!!!!

• ThomasMitchell
    ThomasMitchell Posts: 447 visionary rank
    edited September 9

@BartSteed You’re paying for ACCESS to the content. If I’m an instructor and I want you do be able to download my content, I’ll make it downloadable.

• BartSteed
    BartSteed Posts: 4 observer rank
    edited September 9

@ThomasMitchell No one owns the knowledge. Are you saying I'm not allowed to take notes? I'm only permitted to persist my knowledge in the way the course instructor feels I should? Give me a break! Once I've made a memory or a transcription of the knowledge, it's MINE. — I don't think you should be able to redistribute course material, but you should be able to screenshot.

• ThomasMitchell
    ThomasMitchell Posts: 447 visionary rank
    edited September 9

@BartSteed You can argue that nobody owns the knowledge, yes. But, the instructor owns the medium that presents that knowledge (slides, videos, PDFs, etc). That’s just a fact. You’ve purchased ACCESS to the knowledge/medium.

• @ThomasMitchell I get it, and I appreciate the work that the instructors put into creating great content. But, we're not talking about abusing that (downloading the course and redistributing it). I'm talking about screenshots, which would have no impact to the owner. This is serious overkill for "copyright protection". Maybe it'll just be me that ceases to use the app, maybe not. You definitely lost one user, though: it's far too inconvenient to type notes in on my mobile phone

• @BartSteed Thats an inaccurate statement. Instructors with courses in Udemy for Business, or in the personal subscription are paid based on minutes watched, so when you go into a course, screenshot everything, and watch it over and over again, the instructor gets nothing for those rewatches.

If taking notes on your phone is so inconvenient, online courses may not be the best medium for you.

• @ThomasMitchell agree to disagree. I RARELY re-watch a course; they aren't losing anything if I screenshot something. Sounds to me like the instructor payment model needs to be reevaluated. Like I said, maybe it's just me; maybe not. I appreciate your perspective on the matter.

• Jjp
    Jjp Posts: 2 observer rank

@ThomasMitchell with all due respect, if someone intends to engage in piracy, a screenshot restriction (which only applies to the mobile app) will hardly make any difference. I find it hard to believe that anyone who illegally distributes content would rely on screenshots to copy a video.

Regarding the point about instructors being paid based on minutes watched, it seems like Udemy might be creating a problem to sell the solution. Taking notes on a phone while watching a video is nearly impractical, so why not allow us to take screenshots that are stored in a designated place within the platform itself? This way, I would still have to access the platform (which I find to be a subpar experience), but it would be far more efficient than having to pause the video to write notes.

It feels like this decision was made and never reassessed, without taking into account the platform's main goal: user learning. All the reasons given for this 'restriction' seem quite superficial.