Want an Opinion on Your Upcoming/New Course From a Top Seller?

Comments

• I have re recorded my intro on my landing page now

• ScottDuffy
    ScottDuffy Posts: 822 rolemodel rank

Hi Vedran,

Your course is an introduction to intellectual property and appears to be 1 hour. Your title says "for start-ups and entrepreneurs," and I like that - speak directly to the audience this is for. Good title.

There appears to be a typo in your landing page "requirements" section: "No speciic skills needed,".

There is also a typo in your section titles - "Copyrigth and related rights". Some lessons also have typos like "assingment". Please go over the sections, lessons and course landing page with a spellchecker.

Your subtitle is a list of keywords. I would change it to be a sentence that answers the question, "why should I buy this course? what will i get out of it?"

An idea from me: "Learn how to protect your trade secrets and industrial designs using patents and copyrights"

I don't know if that's great, but it speaks to the entrepreneur about what is in it AND includes keywords.

Consider changing your course image to something more professional, including using your own headshot against a professional background to emphasize authority. People want to learn from a real person, not a stock photo of a lightbulb.

How are you "an expert in Intellectual Property"? Are you a lawyer? Do you have a university degree in it? Have you taken courses in it or been granted some authority by a third party? This is your business, your career? I'm just curious and a potential student might be too.

I think you should add a sentence or two to your instructor bio AND your course description saying, "I am CEO of Didara IP Services Inc and my company has helped 252 companies file patents over the past 10 years," or whatever the basis of your expertise is. Is that clear? If you have some other points of authority on this topic, like a degree or working experience, add them. This course just needs a bit more demonstrated authority, in my opinion.

I like your introduction video. The audio is clear. Your talking head video is nicely framed and looks professional. It's short and direct.

The "what you will learn in this course" is odd. The sound is lower than the intro video, and the video is stretched. I think something happened during the editing of this video. There are black bars on the video that serve no purpose. You need to fix this video.

You have a good mix of assignments, quizzes and videos in the course.

Overall, I think you have a pretty good first course. Just need to fix a couple of typos and one video seems poorly edited. The rest seem fine. Like I said, I like how you are targeting this at a specific audience and not just "anyone". Good luck!

• ScottDuffy

Hi there Akshay,

I checked out your Udemy instructor profile and your impressive list of courses.

I really don't have any feedback on your instructor profile. There are no obvious errors or flaws.

As for your courses, you have many, and they all have student reviews. None of them have the New tag. I was hoping to help new instructors or existing instructors with a new course. So I don't have any specific comments on any of your existing courses.

Supply Chain Management seems to be a popular topic on Udemy, and there might be room on Page 1 of search to beat some of the existing courses with lower ratings. I might suggest you go and watch those competitor courses and see what they're doing (right or wrong), and also read their low reviews to see what people think can be improved. Your success here might be in being better than your competitors. But at the same time, there's a lot of competition and it might be a tough battle.

ScottDuffy_0-1707662414634.png

Good luck!

• Hi @ScottDuffy

Thanks in advance for taking time and give feedbacks.

My course is not new though but it still will be great to get some feedbacks from you. I have spent so much time on this course but it still struggles to get students/reviews...

https://www.udemy.com/course/linux-mastery-from-beginner-to-confident-linux-user

• DILLYARA
    DILLYARA Posts: 63 trailblazer rank

Hi, @ScottDuffy
    ! Thank you for offering your help to us, first timers, with your review suggestion!

Really appreciate it! Although, am an experienced professional but really feel somewhat both excited and anxious to launch my EVER first online course..:). You must have probably already forgotten that feeling....:).

I have not yet published it. So, let me share two links to video files:

1) Link to the course promo video - https://youtu.be/XLimIH5tm7Y?si=f0FEW5INbW-cSIZO

2) Link to a final course lecture - https://youtu.be/_EOtX-Boy1o?si=NWz_xhEA1Kt7KUXG

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Kind regards,

Dillyara Dosmakova.

• Hello, Scott, thanks for this opportunity I'm a new instructor and there is only one course in my profile - The Endless Source of Motivation. Thank you, Elena

• Ola Scott eu acabei de me cadastrar e estou com muitas Duvidas.

Eu uso outras plataformas de vendas como Hotmart e Edduz para lançamento dos meus cursos e de meus clientes também e gostaria de saber mais como funciona a Udemy. Não achei um contato direto com alguem da plataforma e como vi que está disposto a ajudar os novatos, gostaria de saber se pode me ajudar.

Desde já Grata !

• Hey Scott,

thank you for this amazing offer to new instructors like myself. I happily take the offer with my now third course at Udemy: MITRE ATT&CK Framework - From Zero to Hero | Udemy

Looking forward to your feedback. Feel free to be as critical as possible as I am still a new Instructor (started in Nov23) looking for feedback on how to improve.

Thanks again for making this time-intensive investment!

• @ScottDuffy
    thank you so much for detailed suggestions, i have already polished some details you have identified, while other will adjust for sure according to your suggestions! once again, kudos to you for great tips!

• AnikaT
    AnikaT Posts: 2 researcher rank

Dear Scott,

thank you for your kind offer. I just published a course for beginners to learn Tantra a few days ago. I would very much appreciate your feedback!

Looking forward to hearing from you. Have an amazing day!

Warm greetings,

Anika

• Hi Scott D

I got you profile-page link from Bessy Community Moderator. I have looked at your landing page with all your courses, wow! I just published my first Udemy course, for the first time live, some days ago.

I'm looking for some honest, constructive feedback. I have an idea already, what can improve, but always great to hear feedback from other "neutral instructors"... I'm in the beginning of making a new photo course.

Are you interested in giving feedback? Beside my profile page, that you can go to, then do you need more detailed information from me? My thoughts, background story? etc?

Sincerly Charlotte from Copenhagen (photographer + art historian).

• Dear Scott,

many thanks. This is fantastic.

Please, kindly.

I have really really tried my best with this new course:

https://www.udemy.com/course/social-media-chatgpt-bard-gemini-ai/

I have received one middle range review and two 5 stars reviews.

I was really trying to create nice screen recordings as well as animations with my animator.

My editor has created very nice checklists.

Still, not so mega success I was dreaming about.

So, if you have any idea how to be more beneficial and better for students, I will be really really grateful.

Many thanks,

Tom

• Yes, truly so kind to other instructors. This is incredible kindness.

• Hey Scott,

My name is Sameer, I would really appreciate if you could review my first FREE course I have launched. The course name is AI Prompt Mastery - Part I.

I will appreciate if you could spend reviewing my course and provide me honest feedback on the course and the recording as well.

Sameer

Alchemize Minds

• This is a wonderful offer, thank you! I’m currently writing my fourth Udemy course but I would love some feedback on my latest one. Would you be happy to have a look?

https://www.udemy.com/course/master-intuitive-card-readings-using-tarot-and-oracle-cards/

• Thank you, Scott!

This is a worthy move.

Please have a look at my first course:

https://www.udemy.com/course/energy-points-for-immunitybalancedopingpainrelaxation/?couponCode=HOLFEST2024

Every feedback is much appreciated.

Take care,

Žiga

• Hello Scott,

Thanks for doing this. I hope your offer still stands because I've just released a new course and it would mean a world for me to hear your opinion and criticism.

My new course about Object-Oriented Programming: https://www.udemy.com/course/object-oriented-programming-design-course/

Thanks!

P.S. I've enrolled in your Udemy SEO course in the past. It's a blast. However, I can't find it listed anymore (still have access to the material though). Did you decide to pull it down? If yes, may I ask why?

• Hi Scott, I would really appreciate any feedback at all! https://www.udemy.com/course/forensic-psychology-and-offender-profiling-certificate/?referralCode=56ACE2D11A1929676606

Thanks so much

Kevin O'Doherty

• Hi please check my profile.

• Hi Scott,

I would love it if you could take a 10 minute look at my new course just published.

https://www.udemy.com/course/certified-management-analyst-oe-program/learn/lecture/34433814#overview

Very Respectfully,

Chuck Mitchell, Owner/Managing Director

AfCI LLC (Florida)

crm@hpo21institute.com

• Will do

• I like this course and the outline and is considering to purchase it

• ScottDuffy

Hi Chuck,

Please accept this feedback as constructive and an attempt to be helpful.

What are the exact "search keywords" you would expect your ideal student to enter into Google or the Udemy search bar for which your course should be placed as the number 1 result?

And once we know that, how aligned is your current course title, subtitle and description to that?

It seems like you are teaching people the skills they need to attain the Certified Management Analyst - Organization Excellence (CMA-OE) certification. But I do not see that abbreviation or those words anywhere in your course description.

You say that in the intro video, but it's not written ANYWHERE on the course landing page.

If this is true... (this is my best attempt at understanding what your course teaches)...

You need to state that more plainly. Your title is vague. You seem really focused on your company's trademarked brand name (OE21) moreso than the CMA-OE certification. Will people be searching Google for "OE21" or will they be searching Google for "CMA-OE"?

I can understand if, for legal reasons, you are prevented from using the term CMA-OE. I have been there myself with a litigious certification organization trying to stop me from doing training in my first couple of months on Udemy, but you need to focus more on "what are people looking for that leads them here?"

Even if it's "Balridge Excellence Framework", you don't use that term at all, either.

Trying to avoid vague terms like "workplace excellence". People are not searching Google for "workplace excellence in the 21st century".

That's my main feedback.

* You need a new course title

* You need more than zero students, you need some reviews from trusted clients and other people you're not directly related to or paying for their review...

* Your course videos are well done and professional

* Audio is clear

* You seem qualified to teach the subject

* What is "course 1", "course 2", "course 3", ... "course 6" in the intro video? Does this Udemy course contain all 6 courses? Or the students are expected to purchase 5 other courses besides this one?

* Nice use of quizzes and downloadable materials for students to study offline

* I think your "requirements" section is a bit light. You say the student only needs to have a basic understanding of excel, but I bet the student needs to have at least a few months experience working as a manager? I would add more realistic requirements to prevent unqualified students from joining and leaving a bad review.

All the best,

Scott

• ScottDuffy

Hi Mansoor,

I really love to see that you're teaching a unique topic on Udemy. HVAC design. How interesting!

That said, I think the title and subtitle could use some improvement. I guess HVAC makes sense to people in the industry, but what is HAP? Is that an abbreviation for something? Is it popular for people to know what that means? Maybe it is. I would make the title a bit longer.

The subtitle is not proper English grammar. You need to tell people WHY they should take your course.

The videos appear to be about 1 hour per video. You have 18 lectures for a total length of 16 hours. I don't think that's ideal. People will need to sit and watch for an hour, instead of only 15 or 20 minutes at a time. This makes it less convenient for students to take a break and come back to the course later.

The videos also appear to be a recording of a webinar. So for instance, the first few minutes of video 1 are just people saying "hello", "I will begin the recording now," "OK, you can record", "huh?" "I said you can go ahead and record." "Oh, ok".

I think the audio can be improved.

I guess what I'm saying is that this format (18 one-hour videos of a webinar recording) is not a traditional Udemy course format. I like that you have some downloads in there.

Some of the section titles use all lower case, SOME USE ALL UPPER CASE, and Some Use Title Case. This is not professional. Pick a consistent case for section and lesson titles.

Some of the section and lesson titles say "SESSION ON HAP SOFTWARE.mp4". No need to include the "MP4" in the title.

Requirements "just need your precious time". Well, I would argue that the ideal student should be someone looking to get into the HVAC industry, to start. Or someone already in the industry with a few years experience? Maybe they should have some type of background in engineering. You should filter out the students who probably shouldn't sign up for the course.

Good luck!
    Scott

• ScottDuffy

HI Kevin,

Your course looks really professional. If I was looking to get into forensic psychology, I would feel your course would be a good one to take.

Good promo video. Good audio (although a bit of echo but it's OK). Good video. It's well edited. I like that you have talking head videos in the course. I appreciate the warnings in the intro video about the types of content you cover for people not wanting to see graphic/gory descriptions of crimes.

Good course image, good title and subtitle.

I'm sorry, but I really don't have suggestions for improvement. It's a professional course, well done, and I don't feel I can offer any improvements.

Congrats and good job.

• Hey Scott!

I would love some honest feedback on my course about Video Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro. I currently have over 5,000+ students (mostly free students) and I’m having trouble selling the course consistently and gaining more students within the United States.

Any feedback or advice would be wonderful and I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you again Scott

• Hi Scott, im trying to complete my first course but stuck in the cirriculum area, i have made 5 lectures as it requested me to do but cant seem to sumbit for review, can you please help me. https://www.udemy.com/instructor/course/5822366/manage/goals/

David

• ScottDuffy

Hi Vasily,

Tile is clear, and it's easy to understand what the course is about. The section and lesson names are clear and the course is well organized. Good use of bolding and bullet points to make it easy for the student skimming the landing page to decide if that course if for them. I guess with 10 courses now, you're getting good at this.

I would perhaps make a couple of mode videos as free preview. Since the first two videos of the course are free preview, does that really represent well whats inside the course? Set a couple of more to free preview, imo.

Your videos are professionally done. Good talking heads. Audio is clear. No echo. Good use of music and text on screen to emphasize your points. Good job here.

I don't have anything really to suggest to improve this course. If someone wants to learn object-oriented programming, your course can be considered.

You need to get a few reviews, as you know. Since you have a bunch of other students in other courses, this would mainly be done through promo emails, coupons and asking for reviews.

The other comment I would make is that I suspect this is a tough subject to be successful in. OOP is one of those core fundamental topics of computer science like algorithms, so I suspect there are 10000 courses on Udemy on the subject. You've picked a tough fight. Good luck!

Scott

• ScottDuffy

Hi Ziga,

I watched your promo and intro videos, and it's clear this was professionally made. Your audio is clear, and the editing is professional. I'm not going to be able to suggest anything about the videos of the course to improve it.

It does seem a bit short, at 39 minutes. Is that a good length for such a course on energy pressure points? I don't know. The section on painkilling is only 5 total minutes. I imagine that someone in pain might need longer than that to learn properly how to alleviate their pain.

If the course is on Ayurvedic, why don't you use that word in the title? I think that word might be something people are searching for.

Speaking of the title, there's something that can be improved about it. Right now, you use ALL CAPS and have smashed all the words together (to fit it in I guess) "IMMUNITY/BALANCE/DOPING/PAIN/RELAXATION". That title does not seem balanced to me.

Some of these words can be used in the subtitle, which can be much longer. I would re-word the title and subtitle (using Proper Title Case not ALL CAPS) to explain what the course is about in a more balanced way.

Good luck and all the best,

Scott

• ScottDuffy

Congratulations on your course, with a 4.7 rating. It's clearly enjoyed by the students that have taken it.

That's a good title and subtitle. Nice course image.

Your promo video is professionally done. My one comment is that your voice in the promo video seems a bit quiet compared to the music which is louder. Is it easy to re-edit this video to turn the music down a bit? Your intro video is much easier to understand.

Great intro video. Well done. A bit of echo but that's ok. I like that you mention who the course is for, and that the student doesn't need any experience. Also they can use any deck. It's very clear who this course is for.

I'm actually interested in becoming more intuitive, in general. Does this course teach people to become more intuitive generally? You mention that anyone can become more intuitive, and that's something I'd be interested in learning more about. I might take a course like this, with no interest in reading cards, just to learn how to improve my own intuition and gut instincts.

The audio in Video 2 is a lot lower than the intro video. I think you should check every video to make sure the audio is at a consistent volume. You can do this for free in a tool called Audacity. The other videos I watched don't have the problem of Video 2.

I think your course is well done overall, and wish you good luck with it. It's a competitive topic, but you have a course that should compete well.

Scott