❗️**Announcement** Course ratings suddenly dropped or dissapeared❗️

Comments

• VascoPatricio_ExecCoach
    edited September 24

@RandyMinder this is an interesting point. I didn't want to say it, to not manifest it out there, but… I thought something of the sort. If a simple bug can't be easily fixed, it's almost as if the team cannot access the environment for some reason? Or is unable to deploy code?

Either way, even in that worst-case scenario, it would not be the catastrophe it seems to be at first glance. Consumption minutes are still getting counted. Content is still 100% online. And historical review snapshots are saved, as they show up in our graphs. Even if all past reviews that we can't see were, in fact, deleted, with no way to get them back, Udemy could come up with a way to set a temporary review value, that is normalized over time Bayesian-style as new reviews come in.

Does it seem that something is up? Yes. Is there reason to think the whole platform is doomed, in my opinion? No

• AHardin
    AHardin Posts: 559 visionary rank

@Dmitry possibly, but if it was a malicious insider with the recent 280 layoffs, I'd consider that a cyber incident…but entirely speculation. As for the SEC reporting requirement, it's all up to legal interpretation. The SEC calls it materialistic, meaning an incident “to which there is a substantial likelihood that a reasonable investor would attach importance” in an investment decision.

• @ElianaC, Any progress so far?

• MarinaT
    MarinaT Posts: 1,968 Udemy rank

Hello everyone,

We understand how frustrating it can be to see your hard-earned reviews showing the wrong score. Please know that we are fully aware of the impact, and we truly appreciate your patience as we investigate the cause.

Our engineering team has made this issue a top priority and is actively working on a fix. While we don’t have an exact timeline yet, please rest assured that we are doing everything we can to resolve it as quickly as possible.

We will update you once the issue has been resolved. Thank you again for your understanding.

• @MarinaT Thanks for the update. We understand and hope that it will get fixed very soon.

• Thanks for the update @MarinaT

Godspeed to the developers to fix this fast, and restore everything properly.

• Dr. Kat
    Dr. Kat Posts: 43 trailblazer rank

@MarinaT Both instructors and students should be properly informed by email. There are new posts on this topic every day with instructors wondering what’s going on.

• FrankKane
    FrankKane Posts: 1,798 rolemodel rank
    edited September 24

Can we get some assurance that courses won't be removed from Udemy Business due to falling below the rating requirements while this issue is ongoing?

Is the curation team aware of what's going on?

• CodeLicks
    CodeLicks Posts: 2 researcher rank
    edited September 24

• VascoPatricio_ExecCoach
    edited September 24

@MarinaT thank you for the update. This is surely not easy for Udemy internally either, I'm sure. We need to all keep a cool head. Thank you for your updates, and I trust the genius devs will figure this out.

Although it's due to unfortunate circumstances, I love how the instructors are collaborating and commenting together on this thread. This community really is great.

• SeanFowler063
    SeanFowler063 Posts: 58 storyteller rank
    edited September 24

What about this @MarinaT instead of an ETA on when this can be fixed could you give us transparency and tell us what's causing the issue? Does it have something do with things like the AI? or the downgrade in engineers, or is it some kind of malware attack, just anything because we seem to all be coming up with different theories and some transparency might help

• Another day gone and no ETA so far from Udemy !!!

• Chaprau
    Chaprau Posts: 18 trailblazer rank

Problem solved - my ratings have come back up to normal again. Everyone else's?

• My reviews are also back to normal

• For some yes back to normal, still impacted on a few

• the rrating Is now back to normal .

• ScottDuffy
    ScottDuffy Posts: 847 rolemodel rank
    edited September 24

Thanks for the heads up. Review score seems to be restored.

• PaulS
    PaulS Posts: 62 storyteller rank

It appears the ratings are in the process of being restored, i.e. my 4.8 SQL course which was set to 0 is now back to 4.8, yet the counts are not appearing next to the score as yet and one of my Best Sellers which lost it's "Best Seller" tag has not yet been restored (it's been a Best Seller for many years) coincidence or reported rating issue (maybe).

So check your courses folks and observe any changes.

• CarlosDeLeon
    CarlosDeLeon Posts: 892 visionary rank
    edited September 24

I see a change, but not everything is back to normal for me.

One of my courses was severely affected, and that one is back to normal, but another course which was apparently not affected, now went down several points.

Unfortunately, there is no definite way for us to know what exactly the rating score should be, because of the obscure way in which it is calculated.

And, I lost a highest-rated badge, which is not back yet.

• Ratings are back to normal, however the incident costed my one hard earned bestseller batch :(

• Dheeru
    Dheeru Posts: 41 storyteller rank

Ratings are back for me too. Thank you.

• Back to normal for the rating, but lost best seller badges on 2 courses. Did anyone have the same issue?

• Ratings are back to normal. But I lost my bestseller tag .

• Thanks for the update.

• anyway guys, my rating back to normal again

• @Maher-Haddad Yes Back to normal for the rating, but also lost best seller badges.

• Back to normal for me, too, but can also confirm I lost a bestseller tag - would be interesting to restore these tags from a database backup if possible, however they are calculated.

• It is now normal as usual. Thanks Udemy team.

• MarinaT
    MarinaT Posts: 1,968 Udemy rank

Hello everyone,

The case is still under investigation, which may explain why the badges haven't been restored yet. However, I’m glad to hear that your review score has returned to its previous level. I will follow up with you once the issue is "officially resolved" and double-check the badge situation.