Instructors Collab Under Common Academy

TheoSk
TheoSk Posts: 5 observer rank
edited September 25 in Introductions

Hi there. We were thinking with some friends and colleagues of mine where we have different fields of knowledge, setting up a common account like an Academy covering different fields. Can this be done or only a Personal Account can it be made?
Maybe one main Personal Account but showing up as an Academy Name instead of a Person name?
If so, maybe adding other profiles/instructors to this main account or uploading all courses from an Academy name instead of separate instructor names?

Lastly, maybe all together have separate accounts as individual instructors? But we think that a common one with combined students will have more credibility. Maybe though a niche approach creates more authority and not having irrelevant topics combined.

Answers

• LawrenceMMiller
    LawrenceMMiller Posts: 2,257 rolemodel rank
    edited September 25

If you search a topic like "leadership" you will find several examples of what you are suggesting. I can't say how participation in one of those is more or less beneficial than simply promoting your own brand. I think you succeed on Udemy by building your own brand, establishing your reputation, credibility and following. The "Academy" idea dilutes this. I have one hundred thousand more course enrollments than I do my number of students (423K enrollments & 340K students) which means that roughly a quarter of my enrollments are from previous students. I suspect other instructors have similar numbers. If your brand is diluted by publishing as an "academy" I think you lose this advantage. I receive a good number of emails from students asking me which of my courses they should take next after finishing one. I love those emails!

Maybe someone who is a participant in one of those academies can share their experience.

• TheoSk
    TheoSk Posts: 5 observer rank
    edited September 25

Since we're debating whether it's beneficial or not, I suppose at least that it's doable and not against any ToS to make such academy and either post courses as academy or as instructors belonging to an academy that shows up.

Besides this, I see your point yes. But similarly you have more enrollments than students. I believe more or less we're saying the same thing? By having many courses to a brand that they know already, liked its course they first bought and trust, they can trust its instructors too for other courses.

Mainly I was interested in the first part whether it can be done in the first place. I guess the answer is yes.

PS: I'll search leadership too as you mentioned