I need your advice how to sound better...

Hello everyone,

I am starting my journey with the courses creation specifically in the IT field. I borrowed good microphone from my friend and started to record it. After a couple of hours of recordings and vocal exercises, I found that it is harder than I expected.

So I have a couple of questions to you:

1. I feel that I sound like if I was sleeping, I don't know maybe it is how I sound, but definitely I would like to fix it, and make more engaging content, how can I fix it?
  2. I started audio edition with Audacity, so what effects do you recommend me to apply to make the voice sound better?
  3. I see that my microphone is catching "S" and "P" sounds, is there a way to fix it?
  4. What other exercises, or advices could you recommend me as someone who is working on it for some time?

Thanks in advance :D

(unfortunately I am not able to attach my .wav voice recording)

Comments

• FrankKane
    FrankKane Posts: 1,806 rolemodel rank

What kind of microphone is it exactly?

I'll start with #3 as that's the easy one. What you're describing is "sibilance." You can see if a pop filter or windscreen is available for your microphone, which will help. But more simply, just make sure you aren't talking directly into the mic - position it a little off to the side but pointing at your mouth, so that your breath isn't going straight into it while you are talking.

I generally do not apply any effects in Audacity or anything. If you can get your mic placement right and manage noise, you shouldn't need it. The simpler your production pipeline, the more likely you will be to complete your course. Consider a dynamic microphone such as the Shure SM7-B and its cousins, as they are less sensitive to noise. And experiment with different distances to the mic to see what works best with the mic you have.

As for the sleeping thing… I think we'd have to hear that to understand the issue. But if it's just a matter of your energy level while recording, try to record when you're at the highest energy. For me, that's in the morning right after a cup or two of coffee :) But others are at their peak in the afternoon or evening.

• @FrankKane

Thank you for the reply, I have SM900 microphone.

• My one tip to sound more energic is to talk with a big maniac smile. Tricky if you are doing talking heads, but I think it works

• FrankKane
    FrankKane Posts: 1,806 rolemodel rank

I haven't used the SM900 before, but it looks like a condenser which would be a little more sensitive to noise. It'll be important to be in a quiet area when using it. The proper distance from your mouth to the mic will probably be about the distance from your thumb to pinky when they are fully extended.

Make sure you are talking into the correct side of the mic, not into its end or from the back of it. It's a common mistake. See https://spcgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/spg026-spcgear-sm900-streaming-usb-microphone-manual-www.pdf

• You're doing great, and it's fantastic that you're so dedicated to improving your recordings! Here are a few supportive tips to help:

1. Bring Energy: Try standing while recording and smile as you speak—it'll naturally bring more life to your voice.
    2. Audacity Tools: Use simple effects like noise reduction, equalization, compression, and de-essing to smooth out your audio and make it sound clearer.
    3. Softening "S" and "P" Sounds: A pop filter works wonders for those sharp sounds, and positioning the mic just slightly off-center will help reduce them too.
    4. Vocal Warm-ups: Doing quick vocal exercises before recording, like breathing deeply and practicing tongue twisters, will help your voice sound clear and confident.

You're on the right path, and with these small tweaks, your content will sound even more engaging. Keep up the awesome work—your voice will shine!