returning money to student

2»

Comments

• RandyMinder
    RandyMinder Posts: 642 visionary rank

While I would tend to agree with you that Udemy instructors are pretty much at the bottom of the totum pole, it's important to keep one thing in mind. When Udemy refunds money, neither the instructor nor Udemy makes any money. So, it's in Udemy's best interest to minimize refunds as much as possible.

• I'm not against the refund policy itself, but the abuse of weak policy points

I've said the details here

BTW I believe that the instructors are the backbone of a website like udemy, should be given the respectful rights through effective policy

• Leo10
    Leo10 Posts: 1 observer rank

Hello,

I been feeling the same problem. At today i think Udemy dont make changes. So what everybody will do? i dont know, if maybe would be better put my courses in youtube. Lets talk about for what to do?

• RandyMinder

I think you're overly concerned about refunds. Most instructors with quality courses experience a refund rate of under 5%. I don't doubt there are students who abuse refunds. That will always be the case. But, if Udemy thought refunds were getting out of hand, they would change their policy because when a course is refunded, they don't make any money. Therefore, they are highly motivated to make changes as they deem necessary.

• Everyone here says they have only like 2-4% refund requests on courses.

I don;t know what is going on, but I have 4 courses that I put up 2 in May and 2 in June. They arrre good queality and very extensive. The few legitimate purchases I've had had great reviews. But overall I have about a 50% refund rate.

Some people even wait 7-10 days to request one. I am sure after they have screen recorded or extracted all the information.

Instructors are just getting screwed here.

• RandyMinder

Hi @GabrielHerr127

You've got to take refund rates with a grain of salt. Many of the top instructors have their courses on UFB as well as for sale. The courses offered via UFB are rarely, if ever, refunded. Therefore, their refund rate is going to be quite low overall.

My refund rate is almost a constant 4% each month. It almost never fails. And the majority of my refunds are from Indian students. I have no courses offered on UFB.

In my opinion, Udemy's refund policy is broken but Udemy seems uninterested in doing anything about it. This is a bit of a mystery to me because when a course is refunded, nobody makes any money. I agree Udemy should offer a refund policy. But, the fact that a student can complete 100% of the course and get a refund is just brain dead.

• I did see some script on GitHub written in python to download the entire course from udemy. I mean it's not even a month and I have already lost $200 to refund

• Isn't there any way to protect your work? I've recently created a course and this has happened. In the very beginning, it's happened. Recently, it's happened again when a student enrolled in my course, watched it really fast and then withdrew. I saw the student's profile, saw that the student was enrolled in other courses too and gradually was leaving them too. That's disappointing. The refund policy is good and protective but the instructors are the least protected.