What should a first-time instructor invest in: audio or video?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robin_Slee
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

What should a first-time instructor invest in: audio or video?

Go to solution

A common question from new instructor is: "Should I invest in a decent microphone. Or, a decent camera when getting started?"

The answer is actually quite simple. Which do you consider to be the most effective way of delivering your course content?

Or, "Is audio quality more important than video quality?"

When we ask the question like this, then the answer has to be Microphone first, fancy camera second. Now don't get me wrong,  a lot of the successful courses I have watched are stunning to look at. The graphics were crisp. The transitions are elegant. And  boy, that stock photography must have cost a fortune!

But above all, the audio was clear. NO echo and No muffled sound and they are well articulated. Plus, minimal distractions like music etc.

I often watch courses that need me to follow along as I learn. This  means that I am not actually looking at the video 100% of the time. Instead, I am listening. Trying things on my own. And following the instructions through sound.

Think about someone showing you, how to do something in the physical world. They are most likely talking you through the process as they show you. The visuals in this case are the results that occur as a result of the instructors actions. Not the instructors face on a screen, right? When it is your turn to 'have a go', a good instructor will still be talking you through the process. By hearing, doing and evaluating your results, you learn.

Audio plays an important part in conveying information. It should be easy to think about your lectures like a podcast. Imagine that you are trying to help someone achieve a goal over the phone! Be explicit in your instructions. Be clear and concise with your directions. Be empathetic and understanding of the challenges your audience are likely facing. Talk like every word matters and treat the visuals like supporting materials.

Your audience will be more likely to forgive a blurry image if your audio is good quality. Invest time into the visuals, after you have the audio nailed. And be sure to do your best to remove any ambient sounds in your environment.

You can even try recording your audio separately as a voice-over. If possible in a controlled setting. This approach allows you to work on your video during the day and the audio at night. Especially useful if you are short on time and can only dedicate small timeslots.

My final piece of advice is to get 'up close and personal'. With the aid of a pop filter you can get very close to your mic without the audio capturing every little breath. By being closer to your mic, you can lower the gain and reduce nearly all background noise. Now, granted this can be hard when you 'have' to be on camera, but in that scenario, you should use a good quality lapel-mic.

Do you agree?

What do you think first-time instructors should invest in: audio or video?

Leave your thoughts and comments below.

Warm regards, Rob.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Instructions should be clear and concise and every one can understood.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

100% agree. Over time I've even been using less and less video in my courses - at least for my students, they want to see code, not me.

Also bear in mind more and more students are watching our courses on tiny screens on their mobile devices. Clear audio is required for a successful course. Fancy video should only be attempted once you've got audio nailed, and there are plenty of successful courses out there with minimal talking head videos. And don't start messing with green screens until you've got clear audio first.

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

Ahhh, green screen. Don’t get me started! Lol

Go to solution

That is true. A clean audio is enticing to the ears and thus creates curiosity to see. 

Go to solution

This is solid advice. I have seen many courses that did not have a talking head and yet effective for me because of the voice and content. On the other hand I have seen a course with a computer generated voice and out of context pictures that just did not work.

Go to solution

I agree, good sound is a must.

And since having talking head videos is not mandatory, depending on the course's topic, one can publish a course without even having a camera, using only high-quality screencasts and supporting graphics, which most of the times can be obtained without spending a single dollar (some great ideas and resources were shared in this post).

MassimilianoAlf
Community Champion

Go to solution

I totally agree!

The season of failure is the best time for sowing the seeds of success (Paramhansa Yogananda)

Go to solution

Certainly audio quality will be the need of your established audience! Where as video quality although organised need not be so important,  I find simply having the correct audio quality helps you the valued listener will listen for thorough detail!

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

Good points, thanks for sharing. 

Go to solution

Totally agree. It's the audio that's conveying the message.

Go to solution

Instructions should be clear and concise and every one can understood.

Go to solution

I am not actually looking at the video 100% of the time. Instead, I am listening. Trying things on my own. And following the instructions through sound.

Go to solution

In my opinion and experience, if contentes are interesting, video is not necessary and slides are more than enough. Conversely, audio is core. however, even just a 25 bucks levalier microphone can be very good. Extra tip: nowadays recording on your phone and exporting the audio to your compuer for editing can be very immediate, easy, functional and effective. Time saving too. Best!

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

MarcoAdda75, yes! A good work flow too. 😉

Go to solution

@Robin_Slee wrote:

MarcoAdda75, yes! A good work flow too. 😉

Indeed!! 

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

A lot of people learn like this too. That’s why audio books do so well! 

Go to solution

Very Helpful points thanks for sharing.

Go to solution

Dear Rob,

Thank you so much for driving people's attention to this!  Totally agreed. 

Apart from a good microphone with a pop-filter, sometimes it is necessary to cover surrounding surfaces to avoid echo.  I'm one of those who use special anti-echo materials for this purpose.  The whole recording room looks a bit funny though - I get warm jokes from family and friends about it. 🙂

Cheers,

With kind regards,

Vlad.

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

Sorry for late reply. I some how missed your post. I love the idea of your friends walking in to your place, all covered in sound foam like some cave from a batman movie! lol would be awesome too! 😉

Go to solution

Thanks for the information

Go to solution

New here, and I must say, some of these ideas simply have me so many options I had not even considered. This is amazing. Why did I take so long to be here 🙈, I guess it’s never too late 🙌

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.