Are there advantages to staying with 720 resolution?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there advantages to staying with 720 resolution?

Hello and thank you for reading. I am about to start filming my third course. The first two were in HD720 and were quite easy to upload for me and probably access for students I am thinking. My question is should I stay with HD720 or move to HD1080 for this next course and in the future? Thank you, Mike

4 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mike324 Udemy employs an “Adaptive Streaming” player for course videos. This option is not yet available for all Udemy courses, but we’re always happy to enable it by instructor request. When enabled, it means that students can choose an “Auto” streaming option for the course video. With this Auto option, 1080p streaming is possible, if the student has the streaming capability and necessary screen size to take advantage of 1080p.

To get adaptive streaming enabled for your course, please reach out to instructorsupport@udemy.com and our team will be happy to set it up for you.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community 

Thank you Eliana for your response.  You said "if the student has the streaming capability and necessary screen size to take advantage of 1080p". If not all students have easy access to 1080p, perhaps 720 is better?  I would like to go to 1080p if it is what is working for most instructors. Do you know if it is problem free for most? Mike

I recommend shooting in 4K or above, as mentioned the streaming will take care of itself, and by shooting in 4K or above you'll future proof the quality of your video plus you'll be able to crop in and make interesting scene changes with only a single camera.

Hello Ben, Thank you for your response. I like the idea of future proofing, but seems like 4K would make uploading for me more of a challenge as I don't have the fastest internet available. Would streaming 4K for some students not be a challenge? Thank you, Mike

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.