Automatic Subtile Translations

Options

Hey Everyone!

As super happy Udemy instructor, I am wondering if Udemy auto translates subtitles from English to an other language?  

As an example below, this course is taught in English and has 25 other languages where it says {Auto}.

Untitled.png

That would imply that Udemy does it automatically--which would be incredible!

But I can't find out how or even if that is possible.

Thank you so much!

Brad

Comments

• Leonor C.
    Leonor C. Posts: 1,069 Udemy rank
    Options

Hello @BradCartwright

Happy to help! Udemy will automatically generate subtitles in a different laguage once the course has at least 20 subscribers from the specific region. For more information, take a look into this article:

Happy teachings!

Kindest regards,

Leonor

Udemy moderation team

• PhillipBurton
    Options

@Leonor C.
    - that article is for auto-generated subtitles in the primary language, not auto-translated subtitles into other languages.

@BradCartwright
    - Udemy can do it, but it is very hit-and-miss. One of my courses has 25 auto-translated subtitles (with 79,119 students), but another with 4,710 students only has English. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to ask Udemy to do this.

Phillip

• BradCartwright
    Options

Excellent news, thank you @Leonor C.
    !

Quick Question: Since I have nearly 7,000 students and over 2,000 on one course, do I need to proactively set the translations to a particular language so that it tells Udemy to translate them? In other words, I have hundreds of students from India but that automatic translation has never set it. Do I need to select Hindi on the caption page and then it will start counting from there until it Auto Translates?

Thanks a bunch,

Brad

• BradCartwright
    Options

@PhillipBurton
    , thank you very much for the response! For the course that has 25 auto-translated subtitles, did you have to proactively set the captions to specific languages first--and that told Udemy to auto translate or did it simply happen automaticially?

Brad

• PhillipBurton
    Options

It just happened.

• BradCartwright
    Options

Ok, great. Thanks Phillip!

• BradCartwright
    Options

Hi @Leonor C.

As a follow up, each of my courses have enough enrollments from various parts of the world--100s or 1000s in some cases.

Are you able to help me active the auto-translation function? I think it would really drive additional sales as my courses in Economics are pretty universally desired.

Please advise!

Brad