HD recorded, HD file created, HD on Youtube, but still blurry in Udemy (only)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

HD recorded, HD file created, HD on Youtube, but still blurry in Udemy (only)

Hi everyone !

I'm new to Udemy, and I have just started producing my videos for my first course. I am very, very frustrated with the quality of my promo video uploaded into the Udemy platform.

The reason why I am so frustrated is that the videos I am making are being exported in HD (1920 x 1080, 16:9, bitrate VBR). I am editing my videos with Movavi. My videos look super crisp and clear on the output file, and just to test it I uploaded it on YouTube and it looks just as good there (here's the link if you'd like to check it yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYGqwQan-N4).

I've uploaded the promo video in Udemy (course landing page) just to check how it looks, and it looks like there is a glass sheet on top of the screen. You can tell it is not as clear as I see in other places. I am convinced that it is not the video itself, but the video in Udemy.

I have also uploaded it using "regular" (1280 x 720, 16:9), and it was slightly better (believe it or not) but still not as nice as I see on my windows player or YouTube.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm about to go looking for another online platform for my course if I can't figure this out.

FYI, it's all screen cast (as you can see in the YouTube link).

Thank you so very much in advanced for any input !!

Regards,

Ramon

9 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous I can't see any published courses for you yet so I'm assuming you're still editing the course. It is possible that the video looks blurry for now but will look better once the course is published. I may be wrong, but I would wait until you publish the course to see if it makes a difference. I never had issues with videos looking worse on Udemy than anywhere else, as long as they are played at the same quality. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GregReverdiau Hello Greg, and thank you for your reply! Yes my course is still in production, I just uploaded the promo video on my course landing page. I also received a reply from Udemy about my test video, and they said it was 5 stars (after I posted this question). The said they can see and hear me very clearly. Thanks for your advice ! Much appreciated.

It happening to me right now. I'm scrolling internet to find out what is wrong with the video. I texted the tech support for Udemy and they said that you have to contact instructorsupport@udemy.com if you want to upgrade the quality of the video

I hope this is helpfull.

To get 1080 on Udemy (from a 1080 video), you need to contact Udemy and ask for 'Adaptive Streaming' to be applied.

Once applied, the system analyses a users connection and delivers the resolution options (up to 1080) if the connection speed (and Udemy server load) permits.  Though the system will deliver the optimum in accordance with those factors, the options are available by clicking the cog icon at the bottom of the video - if you weren't already aware.

Apparently you need to ask for 'Adaptive streaming' henceforth if you add further videos to your course at a later date, but I've found that this doesn't appear to be the case.

In this age of 4k, 5k and beyond, having to request 1080 (an old standard) is quite nonsensical, but as Tupa declared 'That's just the way it is....'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DanielEvans Thank you Daniel! is it better then to record the videos in 1280 x 720? Technically a lower HD resolution though. Just in case? I can save the videos in 1280 x 720 rather than 1920 x 1080. Your input is much appreciated!

I think any resolution which meets or surpasses 1080 will suffice to get the 1080 option in adaptive streaming.

I use 1920 x 1080 and it works fine.

Regards

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DanielEvans Once again, thank you Daniel! I think I am going to stick with the 1920 x 1080 resolution then. I appreciate your super fast reply.

Best Regards,

Ramon 

Can I know where I can contact Udemy?

best reguards

I'm having a very similar issue. I recorded five courses in 4K and they're all about 24 hours of content. So I uploaded a test video and it looks absolutely horrible and blurry with the 720p option. 

Although the exact same video uploaded to YouTube and views in 720p looks better.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors