Headphone advice

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headphone advice

Go to solution

Is it sufficient to use any budget headphone plugged into my Blue Yeti to check the recording level? is there a minimum spec I should consider?

thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

@ImiR I'm bumping up your post in the hopes to get some comments from your fellow instructors. 

View solution in original post

Go to solution

If you mean the quality of the recording, yes, any budget headphone will give you a decent idea of the following things:
1. Is there a background buzz? The ambient noise, even the slightest, gets captured in the mic.
2. Sudden noises - such as - you hit the desk while speaking, keyboard taps or someone in the corridor hit a nail with the hammer on the wall.
3. Quality of your own voice - Is it shrill? Is it too heavy - high bass? Is it recorded too close to the mic and too loud - which often makes the recording sound as if the voice cracked?

You will be able to hear these sounds, however, many of those sounds are very difficult to get rid of while recording, so you have to do a bit of post-processing in the editing tools, such as premiere pro or audition.

For example, I stay near the sea shore and for most of the year, the atmosphere is very humid. So, air conditioning is a must while recording the course videos (talking head). The mic picks up the air conditioner's noise, a mild hmmm... So, I use denoise from the adobe audition to remove it completely, as if it never existed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

@ImiR I'm bumping up your post in the hopes to get some comments from your fellow instructors. 

Go to solution

If you mean the quality of the recording, yes, any budget headphone will give you a decent idea of the following things:
1. Is there a background buzz? The ambient noise, even the slightest, gets captured in the mic.
2. Sudden noises - such as - you hit the desk while speaking, keyboard taps or someone in the corridor hit a nail with the hammer on the wall.
3. Quality of your own voice - Is it shrill? Is it too heavy - high bass? Is it recorded too close to the mic and too loud - which often makes the recording sound as if the voice cracked?

You will be able to hear these sounds, however, many of those sounds are very difficult to get rid of while recording, so you have to do a bit of post-processing in the editing tools, such as premiere pro or audition.

For example, I stay near the sea shore and for most of the year, the atmosphere is very humid. So, air conditioning is a must while recording the course videos (talking head). The mic picks up the air conditioner's noise, a mild hmmm... So, I use denoise from the adobe audition to remove it completely, as if it never existed.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.