High quality, highly portable microphones?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

High quality, highly portable microphones?

Got a vacation coming up... but as we all know, you never know when something might crop up that demands a quick edit to a lecture video while you're on the road.

In the office, I use a Shure SM7B and all its associated paraphernalia (CloudLifter, ADC, and all the XLR cables between them,) and this would take up half of my luggage space if I were to bring it along. On the other extreme, I have a Rode lavalier mic that fits in my pocket, but its sound quality would be quite the contrast to the Shure.

Any recommendations out there for a good quality, small, lightweight USB microphone? I figure with all the "digital nomads" doing the online course thing while bopping around the world, y'all must have some tips!

2 Replies

@FrankKane I'm not a digital nomad, but I am very happy with the latest BlueYeti X.

It's smaller and less round than the old BlueYeti.

It's a USB mic, so it's super convenient.

You can remove the base and replace with a small foldable tripod that screws into the mic. I'm talking about those 3-5 inch tripods that can sit on your desk.

My wife's a singer and she took her old BlueYeti when she had to travel for an extended period of time. Honestly, the quality was really good, so I think it'll fit your needs if you're planning to travel for a long time.

I think your biggest issue will be the acoustics of the place where you'll record, but Audacity can fix those issues very easily.

I quite like my microphone. It's portable and has very clear sound, with pop prevention integrated. 

I have a Rode NT usb mini

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.