How to co-ordinate audio and video

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to co-ordinate audio and video

Hi everyone, I'm working hard on my first course content, but concerned about how best to  bring together the audio and video, so would really appreciate some advice.

I have a good quality USB mic on tripod for my audio (I ran a test on Audacity and it sounded good), so happy with that, however I was going to record the video using my iPhone as I don't have a web cam on my PC. I've ordered a Joby tripod for the iPhone as recommended on one of the Udemy courses, which will be here tomorrow, but (and please excuse my ignorance) how will the two work together when I'm recording i.e. if the USB mic is recording the audio and the iPhone the video how on earth do I bring those two together to make the actual video?

Apologies for my technical ignorance, I'm on a bit of a steep learning curve, so any straightforward replies and suggestions would be really appreciated 🙂

7 Replies

What software are you using to edit the video?

I am not sure I completely understand your problem.
A very good and easy software editing program is filmora, it is possible to add the film then add the voice and edit each of them individually.

Hope this helps
Bruce

The only software I know is Movie Maker so was going to use that, but although I've brought the two (audio from the mic and video from the iPhone) together, they don't sync and the minute I try to say add in an image for me to 'talk over' the whole things gets thrown out. I feel like I'm spending more time on this that the actual course content at the moment so any further advice very much appreciated.

If you're looking to synch the two you want something that you can see on both audio and video tracks. For  headshots I have a clapperboard, that gives a nice clear blip on the audio sound line and you can see it on screen so you can co-ordinate the two - doesn't need to be a clapperboard, but I had one. For screencasts I just bang the desk. Works for me.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can see how the clapperboard would give the sound wave as you say, however when it comes to adding in still images for me to 'talk over' the whole thing goes awry so I don't think my current set-up is going to work 🙂

iPhones record video with a variable frame rate, whereas your microphone will record with a fixed frame rate, so it is better to sync them together at the time of recording otherwise you will have a nightmare syncing them.

I have a video here which explains the issue for a video capture card, which is the same experience with an iPhone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIb-p8bMvlA

Hypnodan
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Ideally I would have the microphone plugged into the iPhone (perhaps the Rode SmartLav) so that the audio and video are recorded together on the iPhone with the audio recorded through the plugged in mic rather than the phones onboard mic (the USB mic may have a headphone out socket, so for convenience and affordability you could possibly get a cord to plug in from the headphone out socket to the iPhone's mic input socket and see what this sounds like). If in Movie Maker you are then adding in slides which you have been talking over I would perhaps have the slide over the video as an extra layer (I don't use Movie Maker so I don't know it's limitations, so I don't know if this is possible?) so that you can still hear yourself but will see the slide.

All the best

Dan

Hi,

i have a USB microphone plugged into the computer. And the sound is great. So far I have recorded with my iPhone and I think for talking heads it’s easier to use a clip on mic. Like Dan said in the comment above. It seems crazy to pay for two mics but I think it’s the easiest option. 

Good luck with your talking heads. 

Jutta

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.